Crushed Neoprene vs. Trilaminate for NY Waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rostyvyg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Considering I plan to dive Mid May to early October in the waters around Long Island, NY which dry suit would better serve my needs - made of Crushed Neoprene or of Trilaminate?

Thanks

really does not matter..Its the undergarment that provides the most thermal protection ..a good undergarment makes the dry suit ..

its all about the undergarment the outer materials will help a small amound the issue with crushed neopren vs. tirlam is that neopren takes days to dry out trilam is dry in an hour. i have used a try lam with a heavy polartec undergarment in water that was 40 degrees and was more then comfortable.

I dove an OS Systems trilam for the first 8 years of drysuit diving, then switched to a DC Z Nero. Never had an issue with the trilam springing a leak (and I am always crawling under or over something for lobsters or dredging)

As for the warmth, I think they were both about the same. As the others said, it is all about the undies. I just recently bought a Dive Rite 905 EXP trilam and will be diving that this year.

Personally I like a custom fit non crushed neoprene suit. I spent alot of years doing commercial work and I find for the price it stands up the best. Crushed neoprene doesn't offer much warmth and it doesn't stretch much which ends up putting alot of pressure on the seams. A 5mil custom fit non crushed will give you some warmth stretch nicely and fit like a glove. In the summer here on Vancouver Island I usually just dive in joggers and a T shirt. Winter I just wear a pair of helly hanson underwear. Get some dry rings on it and you can use marigolds for gloves which give you a ton of dexterity and are super cheap. There is a local company here that ships all over north america called Sea Tux all their suits have a material called gator skin on them which is very strong. A custom built suit with pockets and dry rings will run you about $1300 Canadian. It is what almost all the commercial guys use out here.

Trilam is nice but it is way to overpriced IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom