Crush or compression resistant suits. Still around? Truth or gimmick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkonmars

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
More than 12 years ago, I went to the annual scuba show in Long Beach, California and a company was displaying and showcasing wetsuits they claimed to be "compression proof".
The lady at the booth had a pressurized chamber with a clear cover plate. Inside were about 1 inch wide strips of wetsuit material. She would turn on the pressure and show the "other brands" of wetsuit material would begin to thin out and become smaller in cross section and thickness. Clearly stating that "their own" brand of wetsuit material was more resistant and less affected by the pressure in the chamber, their brand did show significant resistance to compression when compared side to side with other material. Did anyone remember this brand or claim? Was it a technology we all ignored or did all the other brands incorporate it into their suits and leave the "showcase" brand behind?
(Remember the car windshield wiper? Big company says, "That looks like a great idea, now it's ours! Ha, ha.")

There is a VAST variety and quality of wetsuit material. The 'cheap' stuff tends to be poorly resistant to compression. Some of the compressed neoprene does work, and works pretty well for recreational depths (not suitable for tech depths). I've had both kinds of neoprene and a couple shell suits. I like shell suits OUT of the water. I like compressed neoprene suits IN the water.

The 'crushed neo' made famous by DUI is mostly a heavy, very expensive shell suit. It has a minor amount of insulation and flex remaining but it's tough as hell as long as it doesn't leak. Can't see a big advantage personally.

Don't buy anything from that lady. Sounds like you are talking about Wetwear, they were the ones with that chamber. Some really bad stories out there, including my own.

Wetwear Custom Hood - Review

I believe the material is Rubatex 231. It keeps more of its insulating properties at depth, so you can stay warmer or use a thinner suit for the same thermal protection, however they make a stiffer suit. It's more like the suits of yore, when zippers were needed in the arms and legs. A favorite of urchin divers on the North Coast.

Check out Custom Wet Suits by Deep Thought Diving Products they use rubatex for their suits.

Bob

I remember this Santa Barbara company way back in the 1980s. I was a poor student at the time and didn't have money to buy a custom suit but I remember Rubatex as a buzz word used by that company's info flyer on green paper. I'm glad that option is still around because people raved about their suits. There is some talk when I'm on dive boats in our 50-ish degree waters that the new generation of easy-on squishy suits are not as warm.
I have an old Body Glove Excusion suit from more than a decade ago and a newer Bare Elastek suit.
Both are 7mm and the old Body Glove is less flexible and tearing at the ankles but I feel is slightly warmer when I go deep past 70ft. I never tried to run both on the same day but it may be an interesting test some day.

I dive mostly with dry-suit these days so the suits are only when I tear a seal or I'm free diving. It may again be tough for me to justify a custom suit due less frequency of use. Near where I live, there is a company called "JMJ" in Torrance, CA. They are also suppose to have a good reputation for custome suits (if they are still around). Any recent reviews about them? (I just Googled them and it looks like they are still in business.)

Back
Top Bottom