Crunch time for DiveLine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMZ thanks for the insights. You are right some are not excited and I find that some are very excited and some in between as well. This is normal for a disruptive product. Some have imagination and some not so much. Also I guess it is hard to get excited about vapourware. Let us see. Body recovery is your sales pitch and I hope our marketing team comes up with better ones. We hope for a better out come than body recovery where one could call and get help sooner than being searched for hours when it is most probably too late. No one can deny that these accidents occur fairly regularly.

Thank you to those who contributed and I think it is positive.
I have a dream that one day if we can help at least one human being to survive an extremely terrifying situation and return to their family safely that the happiness would be priceless. The more I delved into the world of Scuba diving the more I was convinced that this is a dream worth pursuing.
I will try my best to get the money side of the company to buy into this.
-Manjula

UW GPS would be wonderful. Fining point of origin or other waypoints would be extremely helpful.

I apologize if I missed it but I've been through this thread and the previous thread. What specifically is the navigation technology? Acoustic ? Inertial? I'm still not sure what the disruptive technology really is. We've had sonar beacon systems before in a few forms.

If anyone develops a new type of underwater navigation technology, sport diving is going to be a microscopic market compared to commercial and military applications.

I apologize if I missed it but I've been through this thread and the previous thread. What specifically is the navigation technology? Acoustic ? Inertial? I'm still not sure what the disruptive technology really is. We've had sonar beacon systems before in a few forms.

If anyone develops a new type of underwater navigation technology, sport diving is going to be a microscopic market compared to commercial and military applications.

Yes you are right I never discussed how as the disruptive impact would be lessened. Further it is not quite necessary to discuss how but I am more interested in why divers would need such a feature.

I want to survey the collective brain trust of SB regarding the experience and use of DVLs. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

We are looking at DVL technology for the Navigation side. One problem with doing navigation is estimating the speed of the diver and DVL looks like an interesting avenue. One major issue is with the real estate required to house the transducers and electronics. We are thinking of mounting on the tank and have an upward looking DVL. Would like comments on mounting on the tank and running a cable to the wrist unit.

It might help to explain what DVL is- I assume you mean a form of dead reckoning using sensors and logging changes in direction and speed.

Hi Ron
Please see link for some background https://www.oceanologyinternational...entations/Alan Kenny.pdf?v=635152645028718659

There are upward looking current meters operating on this principle using the turbidity of the water column to measure the Doppler velocity. We are thinking this could be adapted to the diver problem. However need to make the units small enough to be viable.

Let's go back to basics for a moment, if you will.

Imagine a tied-in boat over a wreck with a two-knot current at the surface and relative quiet at the bottom. I've seen down lines bent into an 'S' shape due to opposing currents at different depths. The ocean isn't just a big pool of water, rivers run through it. In addition, assume the usual really poor visibility. So, yes. Something else is needed. It is usually a reel. Not ideal but cheap and effective. It takes a lot of attention, though. Something less demanding (and highly reliable) would be nice.

So, begin at the beginning:
What independent parameters can you accurately measure? All of them, what are they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom