Cruises out of Fl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David, a few more questions, understand your feelings about the cruising, used to be the same going to France or Spain on a boat! Surely if you are only on the boat the day it sails to and from FL and at nights after the days out, then you dont get quite as bored. Do you go with others you know, or just the two of you? If you went with others who are friends, surely a night on the boat is no different that going down the pub when you were in uni/college/whatever back in the UK? I usually went on those trips to mainland Europe with friends, so didnt really get the boredom. Have fun on your trip tomorrow though, we will wave as you pass - we are diving out of Boynton tomorrow afternoon.

Rick, we had been looking at Belize in general, like i said, a complete tour with diving and land trips, there are plenty on offer, what time of year is it not "too hot" to do some of those other things? Is it the same as the seasons in FL? I hate the summer/heat/humidity here and they are one of the main reasons for me wanting to go back, but i have other reasons to stay here and am thinking of moving in a few years to somewhere seasonal and not so hot! Just wondering so we dont go at a hot time and find that doing anything else is a pain.

Sim, yes its usualy just the two of us still on honeymoon only been married three years. Im a Yorkshire lad that do's not like beer I know shame on me. Like rum but two of them and Im anybodys ( hint hint girls :) ).

I went on a cruise to Cozumel in November for a wedding. Eight people that went booked a 2 tank dive on thier own (not thuru the cruiseline) and 2 others had enough time to take a ferry to the mainland to go diving in the cenotes, and I also booked a dive with a local operator to dive a cave system in Cozumel. We all made it back to the ship in pleanty of time and it was a lot cheaper than doing the dives thru the cruiseline. (side note: we all took our own gear minus tanks and weights).

If you want to find out about the dives the cruises offer send a PM to nature diver, he is a DM for Norweigen cruise line.

Belize: I went there a few years ago. It cost me about $550 round trip to fly there from Orlando. I stayed in Caye Caulker. My cabana was separate from the rest of the hotel and was $30 a night (no TV, no a/c, just 2 beds, a ceiling fan, a mini fridge and a bathroom). It was great, nice front porch and a hammock, on the beach and 20 feet from the water. I think it was Trend's Beachfront Hotel. Anyway the point I am making is if you decide against the cruise but want a nice trip, fly to Belize, it was cheap, lots of dive ops, trips to the mainland, etc. I think for the whole 10 days incuding everything I only spent $1300. That was trips, food, beer. My sister did some fishing and the local restaurants would cook her catch for a very small fee and threw in some side dishes. Also we got a local to take a boat load of us out on his boat for like $15 a person and he took us snorkeling in shark ray alley, made fresh conch ceviche on the boat, gave us fresh fruit, and a waer tour of the entire island. I went in April and the weather was nice, just remember that the sun is a littl emore intense down there than it is here, so remember sunsreen.

I prefer to book dives throught the ship. If there is ever a problem, if you'r booked through the ship, they will wait for you. Yes, the dives are somewhat plebean, but still, that DM is familiar with the area, you (usually) are not.
Have done the Cayman, Roatan, Beleze, Cozumel itinery in past, actually twice on two different lines. I had no problem with any of the dives in those ports. Matter of fact, in Beleze, the ship anchors out, and the dive boat came up to the ship and dropped us back at the ship. Beleze City I believe was 20 min in opposite direction. First trip there the dive included trip to Blue Hole. Long ride, deep dive (148ft) but I can say now I did it.

Just got back from trip on HAL out of Canaveral to Tortola, St Thomas, and Half Moon Cay (their private Island in Bahamas). Dives were simple, about $15 more than if I had booked on my own, but sure beat riding around in a buggy all day looking as huts.

I don't know if you've ever thought of this, but a liveaboard may be a good option if you're looking for some more serious diving. I will be going on my first liveaboard with Blackbeard's in late March. I have heard very good things about this line. They are, however, a lot less luxurious than a standard cruise ship. I guess you have to make the distinction: is it a diving trip or a vacation with diving? I hope this helps. Good luck--Chris

I was on a Carnvial Cruise the week after christmas in cozumel. I took a 2tank dive through the ship with my stepson using Sandollar Sports. The DM was Jerry Garcia (ha) who was very good. The dive bat had eight divers I think. The trip was 70 or 80 buck each. We met on the pier with diveteam and took cabs (included) to the dive shop and boat. We first did 80' on Santa Rosa Wall and then a 60' on Yucab Reef. Both dives were really great. The only thing, the time involved to do both dives and get back to the ship only allowed about2-3 hours to see the town at night. I would recommend Sandollar if they are used by your cruise.

DEEPLOU:
Just got back from trip on HAL out of Canaveral to Tortola, St Thomas, and Half Moon Cay (their private Island in Bahamas). Dives were simple, about $15 more than if I had booked on my own, but sure beat riding around in a buggy all day looking as huts.

I'm heading out on the Oosterdam in a few weeks.

Did you do the 1 tank dive in Half Moon Cay? I snorkeled there before, but was wondering where they take you diving?

Marc

I've cruised with them all and for my money Royal Carribean Does the best job. I go to the Bahamas aboout every 3 or 4 months And every once in a while I do the Mexican. Always 3 or 4 days, thats all I can handle. It's a great way to do some diving and a little partying as well as get away from everything.
I find Holland America to stuffy. Carnival to child like, Norweigean a waste of money. Royal is in the middle not to stuffy or child like. Good service, Good food, Nice boats.
Just my opinion. Simmon if you need help with the dives in the bahamas you can book them your self and don't have to go though the cruise line. I'll give you some names and web sites to check out.
Fred

as to the question of when is it not hot in Belize, I cannot say, only that it was hotter than a pancake the day I was there in November.
Hey Deep lou.. How did you pull off a blue hole dive from a cruise ship that's docked out of Belize city? That's a LONG way out and back. Your ship must have stayed over night or for a really long day stay. Our ship was only there for about 7 hours.
I went with Windstar cruises in the Bahamas and it was , like they say "180 degrees out of the ordanary". no shows, or bikini contests. diveboat is right off of the back of the ship from the marina Dive boat comes with the ship.. Very adult, relaxing trip. no kids allowed. It's really cool to sail like that. and they treat you like royalty. They moved down to the so. Carib now. due to one of thier ships becoming an artificial reef unexpectidly down in Tahiti last year. Now that would be a cool dive.
I was also curious about the dive from HAL private cay, but I thought it was called salt cay, but I could be wrong. Great beach though.

One of the reasons i am not considering taking a major break and/or liveaboards is cos i still have this ear trouble, i stayed a little bunged up after every day of diving. I am still bunged from saturdays dives and probably will stay that way til at least tomorrow. So diving many times every day may not be good for me, i am sure things will improve. So until i get on top of that i would feel i am wasting money on a liveaboard where you are paying to be able to dive so much and might miss out on days of diving. On a cruise i get some peace from diving and can recover my ears somewhat and possibly even change plans from diving to something else (was part of the question before). My GF and i have talked about cruises, liveaboards or just flying to various places and are working on what would be best for us at this time, we are still pretty new to all this though!

We were thinking of honeymooning in Belize (when that time comes), but neither of us likes the hot weather we get here, nor the sun, so essentially, if the sun is more intense around that area and the weather even in the "winter" season is hot, maybe we should just forget that idea! I will have to get out the weather details of some of the Carribean and central American countries i guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom