Cruises out of Fl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have a nice booklet that gives discounts on various cruises out of Florida, Canaveral or Ft Lauderdale or Miami i believe. We were contemplating taking one of them for 3-7 days to the Bahamas or nearby Carribbean islands (all very much up in the air and open), possibly even from Ft Myers(?) to the western gulf and Mexico like areas. Has anyone done these cruises and the diving that can be had on these packages? We werent sure quite what to expect, some places have shallow 1 tanks, moderate depth 2 or 3 tank dives for a day excursion. All are for OW divers, not a scuba discovery or whatever kind of thing. Has anyone had any experiences of these diving ventures from a cruise line, particularly in the areas stated?
I know the question is real vague, but then again so are our plans.
Simon

Going on my second cruise this Sat with Norwegian cruise line. The last one I did there was no complaints first dive 80 feet. You can always book your own dives ahead of time if you wish, just make certain they have you back before the boat sails.

I think the options we have (depending on length of trip for discounts) are Carnival, Princess and Norwegian, i think all of them offer some kind of packages, i understand you can book your own, but i was wondering how the ones offered through the cruise lines were. Do they offer nitrox, give you some room or have they been cattle boat type operations? If you dock at a port, how long do they give you to explore on land or do other day excursions like diving? Again this is all in the future, just trying to get an idea of how people have found experiences with these types of operations.

Cdiver2 thanks for the advice. Have fun on your trip!! BTW good to have other Brits over here!

simbrooks

I think the options we have (depending on length of trip for discounts) are Carnival, Princess and Norwegian, i think all of them offer some kind of packages, i understand you can book your own, but i was wondering how the ones offered through the cruise lines were. Do they offer nitrox, give you some room or have they been cattle boat type operations? If you dock at a port, how long do they give you to explore on land or do other day excursions like diving? Again this is all in the future, just trying to get an idea of how people have found experiences with these types of operations.

I have done dives while cruising, and I can tell you that if you are looking for a "good" dive and don't want to worry about details, then Go with the cruise line dives. They are more money too. It will most probably be a "cattle boat" if it is any size cruise ship, with the exception of Windstar cruises as they have thier own boat and capacity is very limited. Dives will be shorter then if you go out on your own. The Dive operators are just there to make money on off the pod people, so they are usually not interested in showing you the best dive for the money. I have never seen Nitrox offered off a cruise ship trip. If you are interested in a "great" dive, Nitrox, Cheaper, then I reccomend you make your own arraingement ahead of time.
Each cruise line, and city will have different arrival times, and departure times, some do not arrive at a convinient time to make a connection with a dive op. I think they do that on purpose so you have to dive with the cruise lines. If you do book your own, make sure who'll be picking you up, or if you have to go to them. Make sure there will be enough time to get your dives in and still make it back aboard in time. Get a E-mail address just in case the ship changes it's itinerary, as they often do once your at sea, and you have E-mail for a fee on board so you can change or cancel if the need arises. You will not have much time after a dive to see things or shop from what I have experienced. You get off as early as possable (IE first tender) and go get your diving in. that way you can maximize your time after for getting back or seeing a bit around town. It find that the cruise ship trips are very generic, and quite often do not go too far from the ship. If your a new diver that might be what your looking for. I will not use the ship unless I have to. And BTW, If your planning on stopping in Belize, save your money. Diving from Belize City is not worth it, unless all you care about is getting wet. It's too far to the good reefs to be practible.

This was what i was fearing, we have yet to do any cruising and are fairly new to diving, only 20 dives in last two months or so since we got cert'd, but we are starting to understand some of the ways of the poorer side of diving (cattle boats, overpricing etc) and steer clear of them when possible. I wasnt sure if we would be able to get a decent break in during these cruises, and the thought of spending time out of Orlando, having a room thrown in and visiting places without the flying after diving problem, might be worth a go. Do the cruise lines not give you much landing time then? I havent spoke to a rep yet or got prices beyond the basic sailing and room expenses, didnt know how much these extra trips were, but i would investigate the local ops to check on their prices and times etc.

Thanks again, i hope others have had better experiences though.

Hi fellow Brit, A example itinerary (mine)
dep Miami Sat Feb 27th 4pm Sun at sea Mon 9am Cayman depart 3pm Tue 12 noon Roatan depart 6pm Wed 8am Belize depart 5pm Thu 7am Cozumel depart 8pm Fri at sea Sat 7am Miami
Hope this gives you some idea how they operate.
David

Are you diving in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel?

We have been looking into going to Belize for a vacation before, both diving and onshore activities, i know where the atolls are and how far they are from the mainland from that research, i think some of the stuff around a few of the caye's might be a bit closer. I would guess unless you had a really quick boat trip out that you would probably be doing some stuff onshore for that day. It looks like you are getting around 6 to 13 hours depending on the location. Do I take it also that you booked the dives with norwegian as well?

I know i should probably shell out for a liveaboard, but at the same time at this point in my diving career and with occasional ear problems i wouldnt feel right booking one and feeling i was "missing out" if troubles came up. Can you change options whilst you are at sea for the following days of your trips? Say to a land based trip if ears start playing up etc.

Again have a good trip David, we will continue to think about this, there are so many places just in FL and around to dive, but it doesnt hurt to check out your options!

For Belize City it seemed that from all the activities offered by the cruise ship excusions, it was the Cave tubing that got the best reviews afterwards. Tou got wet, it was cool temps. The people like me who dove, were disappointed, and the ones who rode horses, drove, or walked to the ruins, were miserable due to the heat.
Do the cruise anyway though, as it is a very relaxing way to spend a vacation. Dive when you can.

D/rick truth be known I hate cruising all there is to do between dives gamble, I dont usually find the shows very amateurish so that leaves food and drink. Two drinks a day will do me and I eat at home. To answer your next question, because Mrs cdiver likes them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom