Cruise - What Equipment Should I Take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got a great last minute deal and we're heading out on a cruise in two weeks. Looking over the excursion list there's one certified dive trip which I'll go on, but two other ports have enough time to go out as well if I can organize it in advance with an on-island dive op before I leave.

Since only two family members dive, at best I'll get out twice during the week. Diving is only incidental to this trip, so I won't be taking my full gear bag. But what should I take? I haven't used rental equipment since my last OW confined water dives, but from what I remember most of it was not in the best of shape.

Computers (to at least to log the dives) at a minimum. Regs? Masks? Fins? Where to stop? :confused:

Marc :jester:

thats a good question, after recently diving around Thailand I think it would of been worth carting my own gear all over the country just so I could avoid the 4th rate gear I got on the islands :)

I dont know where your cruise is but if it was me I'd definatly bring regs, since their reasonably compact and lightweight, mask + computer for the same reasons, you can probably get away with rented BC and fins since they take up alot of space and you dont need them to be in mint condition, unless I sopose your doing 'serious' diving..

:)

thats what I'd do anyway.

I had a hard time finding a BC that fit correctly....so unless I have my own, I don't like to dive.

Personally, I would bring just about everything (BC, reg, comp, maks, fins, and whatever exposure suit you think you'll need). It's not like you'll need to tote it around a lot....that's the beauty of a cruise, you unpack once <grin>

Peace,
Cathie

theslyfox01 once bubbled...
I dont know where your cruise is but if it was me I'd definatly bring regs, since their reasonably compact and lightweight, mask + computer for the same reasons, you can probably get away with rented BC and fins since they take up alot of space and you dont need them to be in mint condition, unless I sopose your doing 'serious' diving..
:)

thats what I'd do anyway.

Good input - thanks. The toughest part is trying to figure out what to expect of the rental equipment.

The cruise is eastern Caribbean - Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas. The organized shore excursion is on St. Thomas.

We have time to dive in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, so I'm currently investigating dive ops on the internet for those destinations.

Marc :jester:

Except for tanks and weights...j

On our cruise to the Eastern Carib in January, I took my whole dive bag. I use a prescription mask, so it had to come, brought my regs and computer in a carry on bag, everything else, BC (minus weights) shorty wetsuit, fins, booties, beenie, mask, snorkle, and dive log, along with other odds and ends fit in the bottom compartment of my dive bag. I packed the top with other clothes, and shoes and stuff that I needed on the cruise... It all worked out really well, only needed tank and weights at the dive sites on Barbados, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom