cruise trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa4516

Contributor
Reaction score
We arrived home late Sunday night following a 7 day cruise with Carnival Destiny. The ports were: St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados and Aruba. We had a great time and did not really want to come home to the cold here in Michigan but here we are!

Since my Husband, Don, had had major abdominal aortic sugery in late October, I wanted our first dives to be easy and controlled. We did some snorkeling in St Thomas and Dominica, just to get wet and practice with our new Sealife digital camera.

In Barbados, we dove with THE DIVE SHOP which has been recommended by various people on the scuba board. The only real problem that we had was that they were very late picking us up, they actually ended up sending a taxi for us. When we got to the shop, we, did the paper work and then Haroon, the owner told us to walk down the beach a bit and wade out to the catamaran. So, down the beach (not too far) we walked and found the boat out in the water. Don volunteered to carry my scuba bag out for me. Having had an instructor who was big on women being independent, I thanked him and told him that I could do it my self. Mistake! I am only 5"2 and everything in the bag was soaked, towels etc. Oh well, things dry.We dove 2 reefs which were between 30-50 feet. On the first dive we saw quite a few turtles. The coral was colorful but there were not as many fish as I remember seeing last year on Grand Cayman. The dive master and captain were very helpful and Don and I had relaxing and interesting dives. There were only 4 other divers on the boat of varying abilities and the more advanced divers seemed to have ther leeway to do their own thing. One of the other divers was having some problems with her ears and equipment and only did one dive. All in all, I got exactly what I had requested. Shallow, easy dives in a small group. We went home satisfied. As we left the boat, to go back to shore, I let Don carry my scuba bag back to shore but decided that I could carry my wallet which was on a string around my neck. High tide! Had to swim in to shore, and several travelers checks had to be dried out later.

Aruba: We dove with Clive Palur of Dive Aruba, also reccommended by SB. I misunderstood where he was to meet us and almost missed him but it worked out. The Dive Aruba shop has been displaced by a large resort and is temporarily working out of an office building. We went by there to do the paper work, etc and then to the dock. The boat is small, holds a max of 6 divers. We had 4.The water was a bit choppy but did not cause a problem. Clive was very helpful. The only problem that I really had with the small boat was that Don and I usually check out each others equipment before entering the water, to make sure everything is in the right spot, turned on etc. On this boat, you sat down, he helped us on with the equipment, we stood up and did a giant stride in. I missed the complete buddy check. On our first dive, we saw our first sharks. They were circling the reef. Fortunately they did not look too hungry! The second dive was a drift dive Clive was an excellent guide, showed us a lot and was in tuned to his divers. I liked that, some DMs tell you to let them know when you are down to 1500 psi but you can never get their attention! Again, we got what we asked for, relaxing shallow dives, just to get our feet (fins) wet again.As usual, My air lasted longer than Don's. He had an al 80 and I used Al 63 and ended up with quite a bit more air. We could have used about a hundred more dives. Definitely wanted to stay and dive some more. I think we need to go somewhere and stay a few weeks and dive dive dive. With such a short vacation , you just start getting comfortable with your buoyancy, etc and you are done! I think that Don and I will continue to practice in the pool here and see if we can't improve Don's air consumption so that we can have more bottom time, we were averaging around 40 minutes. We hope to do some diving while at Hilton Head in May and frequent the Ohio quarries this summer. Hopefully, sometime soon we can try a shallow wreck somewhere!

In summary, we were satisfied with both dive operations. They gave us exactly what I asked for. I have no doubt that they could have provided us with more challenging opportunities had we asked.

As for the cruise, it was our first and we had a great time. We were there with 40+ senior citizens who participate in our water fitness classes. We all had a great time! The only real hint that I have for cruisers who book their own dives is to make sure that you understand exactly where they are going to meet you! Happy Diving everyone!

Lisa:

Sounds like you had a great time & got to do the kind of diving you were looking for! Glad to hear it all worked out & Don is doing well. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple months - the Avalon offer is still open!

Jersey

Thanks for the great trip report Lisa,

Glad your dives worked out the way you had hoped. It's always good to start slowly, when you've been away from diving for a while.

My only real complaint is usually: The trip is never long enough.

Did I read that right? Senior citizens on a Carnival cruise? How did that work out?

Tim Ingersoll:
Did I read that right? Senior citizens on a Carnival cruise? How did that work out?

it really worked out quite well. Embarkation and Debarkation and the San Juan airport were challenging but everyone got through it and had a great time.We had 46 people all together, including some younger relatives. We got together at dinner every night and also had an area where many got together later at night to play card games. My co-leader, Lil, planned some shore excusions to the beaches while Don and I were diving. It sounds as if they had a blast.Lil had a water exercise class in the hotel pool during one beach trip and everyone seemed impressed.While on the ship, most of the group was quite active, going to the shows. etc One of our favorite couples participated in the Newly Wed/Almost Newly Wed game and I heard that they were hilarious. Everyone seemed to have a great time, inspite of a few personality conflicts, colds etc. We will probably do it again next year with some changes. We plan to sail out of a US port, probably New Orleans. San Juan was really difficult with that many senior citizens. Extremely long lines, poor service and very little options for food once we finally got back to the gate.
We started our winter session of water exercises Tuesday and they are already asking about the next trip. I hope to get more people from my class which is an Arthritis class, to go next time, I only had 2 this time but they did great. The others were in the water aerobic program. The one thing that I can say, is that on our scuba days, I was asleep long before they were!

We're taking the same cruise out of San Juan on the 29th of Feb;
just completed our pool/classroom work on 2/12. Booking OW
certification dive in St Thomas and Brabados.............can't wait!!

Indybob:
We're taking the same cruise out of San Juan on the 29th of Feb;
just completed our pool/classroom work on 2/12. Booking OW
certification dive in St Thomas and Brabados.............can't wait!!

welcome to the board!
You should have a great time! If you are going to shop while on shore, make sure you look in the gift shop first and check their prices! I bought my Citizen Hyper aqualand watch in St Thomas, thinking I had a pretty good price and found it for $10 less on the ship the next day!
Be prepared for San Juan airport, it can be zoo, especially going home when 4 cruise ships are disembarking at the same time. It is a long day!
If you are in an inside room, beware of the hair dryers! At 4 am the first morning, Don got up to go to the bathroom. I heard a noise and then the hair dryer. The hair dryer get going and going... I wondered to myself, what could he be doing with the hair dryer? He still has what Marines consider " A good Hair cut" He had knocked the dryer off the wall and it had fallen apart. He had to put it together in order to put it back up! We knocked that hair dryer several times that week.
We enjoyed the cruise, LOVED the diving! Have a wonderful time and good luck with your OWs

Lisa
Thanks for the report. I will be diving Barbados on a cruise in April and have booked with the Dive shop also. Your cruise went to Dominica but you didn't mention diving there. If you didn't you sure missed some beautiful diving. Did it last October on a cruise and the cruise in April goes there as well as Curacao, and St. Thomas. Will be diving again in all 4 places.

eeg0323:
Lisa
Thanks for the report. I will be diving Barbados on a cruise in April and have booked with the Dive shop also. Your cruise went to Dominica but you didn't mention diving there. If you didn't you sure missed some beautiful diving. Did it last October on a cruise and the cruise in April goes there as well as Curacao, and St. Thomas. Will be diving again in all 4 places.

We regretted not diving in Dominica. Just could not dive everywhere as much as we wanted to.The ship arrived kind of late in port and I was afraid we would get in too late. We did snorkel however, with Dive Dominica thru the cruise line. Any time that I am in the water, I am happy but I really wanted to be down under. Who did you dive with in Dominica? I am not sure how excited I was with Dive Dominica. I think that I would chose a different operation for diving. We really enjoyed our dives in Barbados and Aruba but so far, I think that I enjoyed Grand Cayman the most. Of course, there are lots and lots of places that we have not been to yet and hopefully we can try some of them soon!
Probably, our next diving will be low viz diving in S.C. in May. Quite a contrast!
Have a wonderful trip and be sure to let us know all about it!

lisa4516:
Aruba: We dove with Clive Palur of Dive Aruba, also reccommended by SB. I misunderstood where he was to meet us and almost missed him but it worked out. The Dive Aruba shop has been displaced by a large resort and is temporarily working out of an office building.......

Lisa,

I am traveling in a group of 12 people and arriving in Aruba on March 6th for the week. Last week, I sent Clive an email to reserve 5 spots on his boat. We are planning to dive five times during the week. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dives, and that he operates a good dive company. That was my main concern, which company to dive with in Aruba. After reading your email, it sounds like I made the right choice.

Thanks,
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom