Cruise stop...belize city.....dive Turneffe Atoll.....or barrier reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boastud

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to be in belize city from 7am to 5pm via royal caribbean. I decided to book it through rccl after reading all the posts about the long boat rides, and how they will come to the ship to pick you up first, not having to wait for tenders. The atol is a 45min boat ride each way and $35 more than the barrier reef, but i probably wont ever be in belize again. Just looking for some imput, and which you think i shouldnt miss.

I decided to book it through rccl

What's "it"? You seem to have made all the decisions already. Who is the operator (rather more important than who you book through)?

If you're trying to decide between diving (?) on the barrier reef or at Turneffe Atoll then I'd choose the latter.

If you want a different experience you can book a day trip to fly over (15 min) to Ambergris Caye and do 2 local reef dives, have lunch, explore San Pedro and fly back with plenty of time to get to your cruse ship. This way you get to see the area from a low flying airplane and visit a different town as well as getting in two great dives. just a thought

You can book the atoll or the barrier, both through royal caribbean. I am unsure of the company they use. I have tried contacting royal caribbean for that info.

Do the Cave Tubing at Jaguar Paw and dive Roatan! Boat rides are long and you will be packed! Go back and do Belize underwater right! Or do the Mayan Ruins, but you will be disappointed if you rush out to do a rushed dive! They also have a zip line at Jaguar Paws as well and it is one of the only places I know where you can see the Real "Pirates of the Caribbean" Ride! CAVE TUBING! You can see pictures here

I would book Turneffe of the 2 cruise diving choices. Though it's true there is more cool stuff on land than in your usual cruise port.

Actually, even as a Belize dive operator I agree with Papa_Bear. A dive is a dive, but many land-based places you'll have time to get to in Belize are unique.

But if you're set on diving then the extra for the atoll will be worth it. I don't know if the boat will be packed, but you'll certainly be in for some long rides.

Our cruise is key west, cozumel, belize city. I dive the keys all the time, did cozumel in jan, and i am really excited about diving belize. Half our group is doing jaguar paw, but i need my fix!!

Or do what Steve suggested - fly up to the northern cayes and dive there (here!). The points he made are very valid, and lots of people do it. Just remember that you're responsible for getting back to the ship on time, unlike an RCCL-organised trip where they take the responsibility.

The cost for two dives, even with the airfare and a relaxed lunch in a beach cafe, will be about the same as your RCCL trip would have been. And don't worry about flying after diving - the local flights go very low and don't come near DAN's guidelines.

You've given the time of day but not the date. When will your ship be in Belize? Actually, are you sure you'll be docking in Belize City? Talk here is of cruise ships soon resuming mooring just off Ambergris Caye, as they used to years ago. In that case there'd be no decision to make, other than choosing your local dive operator!

Do you have a website or direction to steer me to the flight/diving? As of right now the web-site says tendor off belize city. We will be there wed 8/23.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom