Cruise Ship visit diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My fiancee and I will be going on a cruise for our honeymoon in a couple of weeks and would like to do some diving while in warm waters. The ship will visit both George town, Grand Cayman as well as Montego Bay, Jamaica and we would like to get in one or two dives during the trip. Any suggestions you might have for good dive operations that would fit in with the cruise schedule would be most welcome. The ship is scheduled to be in Jamaica from 9 am - 6 pm on wed and Grand Cayman 7 am - 4 pm. My fiancee did her OW classs last year and made a few warm water dives on Roatan last fall, so we are looking for reasonably easy, but good dives and a good operation to go diving with.

thanks for any suggestions
Ike

Although it cost more I would book a excursion through the ship. They usually have contracts with reputable dive operations. They also make sure you get back to your baot in time for departure. I did this in Cozumel and it worked out great. We got back to the boat 2 hours early.

In Georgetown you can do a shore dive at Edens Rock which is within walking distance of the cruise ship drop off area.Just make a right when you get off the tender and start walking you will see Eden Rock dive center on the south end of Georgetown.It is not the best dive but you will get wet and do it at your own pace.

When I'm on a cruise, I almost always dive using the ship's dive operator. It may be a bit more expensive, but it removes many opportunities for problems. The dive does not leave until the ship's guests are there and the ship does not leave until the divers return. If something goes wrong and the dive is cancelled, the ship will return your money.

If you look around, there are threads on diving while cruising and a lot of good advice there (both for cruising in general and for diving while cruising), e.g. don't bring a dive knife, etc.

When I'm on a cruise, I almost always dive using the ship's dive operator. It may be a bit more expensive, but it removes many opportunities for problems. The dive does not leave until the ship's guests are there and the ship does not leave until the divers return. If something goes wrong and the dive is cancelled, the ship will return your money.

If you look around, there are threads on diving while cruising and a lot of good advice there (both for cruising in general and for diving while cruising), e.g. don't bring a dive knife, etc.

I second the knife tip. I did this and nothing but hassle. Every time I left or returned to the ship at port an alarm went off. When we checked in my heavy dive bag it had to be carried to the room since it was flagged with a knife in it.

I will be going on the same itinerary in April. My niece and my nephew are both getting married (not to each other) on the same cruise. I have never cruised before and I am really looking forward to seeing the islands, but I want to dive too. I am the only diver of our group, I am hoping I will have time to dive and then go to their weddings on the island. I am still waiting for the info as to when each of the weddings will take place, then I'll set up a dive. I may just dive Grand Cayman just to keep the peace with the fam. Please post how it went for you. Thanks. Choco

Cruise ship dives are generally 2X the cost of local dives, and often will go to the sites that serve the lowest common denominator, i.e., the beginning diver. However they do guarantee that you will not get left behind.

I know in Coz there are a few ops that cater to cruse ship divers, and they will wait until the patrons are to arrive (generally after most boats go out), and will do their best to get you back well before the ship leaves. Things can go wrong, like an engine issue for example, and in that case you might be screwed, but I think it is highly unlikely.

I would suggest a call to some of the local ops in the areas you want to dive, and see what they have to say. Many cater to cruse divers, and if you have 8 hours in port, that is certainly plenty of time to do a two or three tank dive.

A couple of quick thoughts about cruising, whether you dive or not:
1. Food is all included, so try it all. Order 2 or 3 entrees and graze them. There will generally be "lobster night." Make sure you start out by ordering 2 or 3 tails.

2, Bring something to hang on your cabin door to identify it as yours. They all look the same at 2:00 a.m. and it is nice to be able to spot yours easily.

3. Your "cruise card" is all important. It opens your cabin door, gets you on and off the ship and acts as a charge card. We usually poke a hole into one corner, run a string through it and hang it from our necks when we are at the pool, or don't otherwise have pockets. Bring string or a piece of ribbon.

4. Unless you ask the purser otherwise, tips will be added to your charges on your cruise card. I've never been sure the tips actually get to the intended recipients. Have the automatic tips removed and use cash.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, my fiancee has decided not to go diving on this trip, so I will be diving alone (with an insta-buddy) I have booked through the cruise line web site for a 2 tank boat dive package deal for $99, the online information is of limited help, claims wall dive to average 80 ft followed by shallow wreck/reef dive, equipment included (whatever that means). They also show dive options in Cozumel that are a bit cheaper at $75 with gear and $65 without, I have to wonder what sort of gear a $10 difference gets you. Now I just have to dig through my gear and get a set of light weight travel gear together, I think I can skip out on HID lights, repair bench in a box, spare fins, regulator, dive computer, etc. this time around.

Ike

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, my fiancee has decided not to go diving on this trip, so I will be diving alone (with an insta-buddy) I have booked through the cruise line web site for a 2 tank boat dive package deal for $99, the online information is of limited help, claims wall dive to average 80 ft followed by shallow wreck/reef dive, equipment included (whatever that means). They also show dive options in Cozumel that are a bit cheaper at $75 with gear and $65 without, I have to wonder what sort of gear a $10 difference gets you. Now I just have to dig through my gear and get a set of light weight travel gear together, I think I can skip out on HID lights, repair bench in a box, spare fins, regulator, dive computer, etc. this time around.

Ike

In my experience with booking through the cruise ship, you will probably dive with Sand Dollar Sports. The phrase W/o gear versus With gear only applies to Tanks and Weights. Make sure you purchased the package with gear if you want air. If you need wet suit etc. you will have to rent for an additional expense. I was happy with Sand dollar Sports. They took us to Santa Rosa Wall and the San Clemente Reef. I am assuming that you you are cruising on Carnival.

Back
Top Bottom