Crotch strap - stitch or bolt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver:
I'd actually recommend you just go buy the DiveRite strap. :D It's only like $15, comes with the front loop stitched, and includes a neoprene sleeve to cover it. The only thing I didn't like was the keeper for securing the rear loop, so i just used a beefier one that I had laying around.

I bought a DiveRite strap, but had to cut the loop off and re-stitch it as it was too small for my DiveRite buckle to easy pass through it. I'll never buy one of those again. My girlfriend recently bought an Oxycheq strap, but the material it is too thin and gets twisted in the slide. Better to just sew your own.

Dave

My DR 2" strap's loop seems fine. Puttiing the SS DR buckle through it takes two hands, but it isn't a tight pass-through. As in all things sewn, there is always acceptable (and non-acceptable) variations in actual sizes from one to another (go grab 4 pairs of the same model, same brand and same size of Levi jeans, then try them all on - they will all fit differently and be of different lengths).

When the webbing was newer and stiffer, it may have taken a little more effort to push the buckle through.

But if your CS's loop wasn't big enough to fit a DR buckle at all, you probably could have taken it back for exchanged it for another.

No issues at all with the loop size on mine with a SS buckle (FredT's buckle, but looks to be identical dimensions to my DR buckle on my weight belt).

loquat149:
My girlfriend recently bought an Oxycheq strap, but the material it is too thin and gets twisted in the slide. Better to just sew your own.
Dave

Interesting, I stock Oxycheq and have never noticed or had a complaint. I have some comming in and I will check them out and let Pat know.

I also make my own...see other post.

Ron

get a guitar strap. they are like 5 bucks for one, and just use a slide. You have to sew the loop in but its not hard at all. Its soft 2" webbing so it shouldn't rub your legs or anything else:wink:

Surprisingly,somehow after using the crotch strap for about 50 dives,this weekend I tightened my shoulder straps a tad and doved without it and have no problems with my tank sliding upwards!I did 6 dives and my rig was stable and snug without the crotch strap.I think some body shape don't need a strap if the shoulder and waist strap are well adjusted.I too was using the DR strap.Only $10 at my LDS.Anyone experiencing diving without the crotch strap lately???

I would go to the local shoemaker and have them stitch the loop. Then use a slide or two for securing it so it is adjustable until you find where it's most comfortable for you. Make sure you don't use to stiff a webbing though as it will wear through your DS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom