Crossing shoulder straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire:
Your answer makes a lot of sense. Since I have to unthread it to put some inertube bands on it I'll rethread it crossed and give it a try.

i should have be getting the stuff to make my first harness by the end of this week. you said that you have to put innertube bands on, bike innertubes i assume and they are to secure equipment to the straps? can you elaborate a little on this so i dont forget anything, im sure im not the only one who could learn something from this. thank you

sashababy22:
i should have be getting the stuff to make my first harness by the end of this week. you said that you have to put innertube bands on, bike innertubes i assume and they are to secure equipment to the straps? can you elaborate a little on this so i dont forget anything, im sure im not the only one who could learn something from this. thank you
The inner tube question is being discussed here:http://www.scubaboard.com/t71212-semi-silly-question-about-inner-tube.html

SmokeAire:
Is there any advantage, when threading the bp, to crossing the shoulder straps behind the neck versus the standard straight down the shoulders threading? I know several people that cross the straps. My harness is standard threading. It fits fine with my wet suit but when I dive without the suit the shoulders are a bit loose and want to slide off. People I've talked to that cross the straps say it makes the bp more stable.
Does it rub the back of the neck?
Any thoughts?

Chuck

If you cross the shoulder staps just make sure you can get to the valves. Sometimes a crossed harness makes it hard to lift up and isolate doubles. Just so every knows what I mean ,with straight harness straps, when you lift your arms the backplate lifts too. With crossed harness straps the cross itself keeps the backplate down.

novadiver:
If you cross the shoulder staps just make sure you can get to the valves. Sometimes a crossed harness makes it hard to lift up and isolate doubles. Just so every knows what I mean ,with straight harness straps, when you lift your arms the backplate lifts too. With crossed harness straps the cross itself keeps the backplate down.

They also get stuck on your head when putting on (over the head).

evad:
They also get stuck on your head when putting on (over the head).

If you can swing doubles up and over your head that alone would impress me to no end :icon10:

novadiver:
If you can swing doubles up and over your head that alone would impress me to no end :icon10:
I think this is an in-the-water-only move. I have never had the nerve to try it myself.

novadiver:

That would be impressive.

Of all the BP's I have, I have two sets with a cross and two without. I can reach the valves with any of the configurations. I do find that the cross straps keep the Bp a bit more secure when you are turning and twisting about. But not so much as to really be something that is a major issue. The straps are loose enough that I can slid in and out (sometimes they do tighten and it is a ?itch). One thing I have noticed is that depending on the angle of the slots in the BP that the straps do not appear to wear as much when crossed. Really you just have to try and see what works best for you.

Chuck

As far as being an ODD BALL well I guess that Simon and I are, of course he is a Brit and not native to this continent and I being a Canuck am just another colonist like you. All hail the Mother Land! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. And for the rest of you common continent brothers, please note I am not an American and anybody south of the 49th is a Yankie. ( I know the South Shall Rise Again!)

novadiver:
After doing an overhead single aluminum on land, I think I could do doubles, but I wouldnt want to try with steels!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom