Crossing Border With Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossi777

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In October I plan on travelling from Phoenix to San Carlos, MX with 2 kayaks which I use for diving. Has anybody had any problems entering Mexico with Kayaks?

I brought in 8 kayaks and the only concern the customs officer had was that there are only 3 people in my family. So I had to pay duty on the kayaks. If you are traveling with 2 kayaks, 1 for each person it should be no problem. Even 2 kayaks for 1 person shouldn't be a problem... I had 8 and expected a problem.

While traveling south I was stopped by a Federal Policeman. When I asked what the problem was he told me " no problem I just wanted to look at your kayaks... how are they for fishing from?" After looking at my kayaks he asked if he could buy one. I had to tell him no and he just said "Thanks anyways."

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
I brought in 8 kayaks and the only concern the customs officer had was that there are only 3 people in my family. So I had to pay duty on the kayaks. If you are traveling with 2 kayaks, 1 for each person it should be no problem. Even 2 kayaks for 1 person shouldn't be a problem... I had 8 and expected a problem.

While traveling south I was stopped by a Federal Policeman. When I asked what the problem was he told me " no problem I just wanted to look at your kayaks... how are they for fishing from?" After looking at my kayaks he asked if he could buy one. I had to tell him no and he just said "Thanks anyways."

Dennis

Thanks for the response. My concern is that some of the regulations about crossing the border by car refer to allowing only allowing one large toy, e.g. one surfboard or one sailboard. The 2 kayaks are for myself and my wife. I would hope it wouldn't be a problem.

Dean

We took a kayak/marine bio trip to Bahia de Kino, Mexico, from La in 1972. I think we had 8-10 kayaks (all Klepper folboats so they were broken down and stored in their sacks). We didn't have any trouble, but I had about 35 students with me. On the return, US Customs checked everything out but they were mainly concerned about the preserved specimens I was bringing back for the L.A. County Museum.

Things have probably changed over the last 33 years!

drbill:
We took a kayak/marine bio trip to Bahia de Kino, Mexico, from La in 1972. I think we had 8-10 kayaks (all Klepper folboats so they were broken down and stored in their sacks). We didn't have any trouble, but I had about 35 students with me. On the return, US Customs checked everything out but they were mainly concerned about the preserved specimens I was bringing back for the L.A. County Museum.

Things have probably changed over the last 33 years!

Thanks for the information. Hey, when is your Sea of Cortez DVD going to be available?

Dean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom