Croatia in September... Tips and advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll check back here from time to time for additional info.

My brother traced our family roots to Croatia. It is on my list for a trip in the next year or so.

I just booked a 2wk trip to Croatia for Sept. Wasn't really planning a dive trip but will grab a tank here and there. I'll post what I do, and will certainly check out all that has been posted. Not really looking for wrecks (going to Coron, Philippines for that in 2wks), but want to see what the Adriatic has for fish life.

Well,looks like it's our turn.
We are heading to Croatia in mid September 2011 to do some diving,probably more to the south,looking for the warmest of waters.I would really appreciate some feedback from you dive folks that have been there and can tell us about your experiences,tips,advice,especially from those who have been to Croatia more than once to find out which areas,hotels,Dive centers are the better ones,hope to do some touristy stuff too.

And... How was the diving? Please, of course :)

About time we posted our Dive experience in Croatia,couldn't think of a better time then a cold winters day,it's about -14 celcius.Originaly we were thinking of basing in Split but decided to stay and dive from Bol,the island Brac,about a 30 minute ferry ride from Split.We couldn't have gotten luckier.The town of Bol was an amazing place in September of 2011,we planned on staying for 8 days,the weather and place were so nice we extended for two more days.Bol in later September is less crowded and a really nice place,and on the calmer side.Split on the other hand is much more like a big city,if that is what you are looking for!! The dive sites from BOl are a 20 minute boat ride,max,there is one dive that they do that we unfortunately missed that is 2 1/2 hours away and an all day trip.Got some feed back from a few Slovenian firemen that, that dive was the reason why they got into diving!!!!:depressed:,sorry I missed it.Not to say that the nearby diving wasn't great!!! You won't be disapponited.The dive boat held a comfortable 10 to 12 people and like I said the dive sites were about 20 minutes away.Vis was great,bottom is pebbly(rocky),not silty or sandy,good for diving but less so for beaches,more used to sandy beaches of the carribbean.Marine life wasn't as abundant as Carribean but the vegetation was really nice.We had seen a nurse shark egg that was attached to the vegetation,first time seeing this.The wall dives were fantastic.One wall dive was like a mushroom that you circle on way up,nice wall.Other than the Carribean ,Most of our diving is done in Brockville,Ontario,Canada (wreck diving).One more thing about Bol,they say that it is a little more expensive than other areas (mainland I guess) but no much more,price wise it won't make a major difference on your pocket book but the place is well worth it!! Happy diving all !!

We recently translated the titles of the galleries to English so I recommend to check out the Adriatic section: you can see what we, Hungarian divers use to see under water in Croatia.
This is the link: Adriatic Sea

Swankenstein, your photos and description of your trip and dive are FANTASTIC!! Unfortunately, I can't read it all- your beautiful writing is covered by some of your outstanding photos on your page. However I loved reading and seeing. Thank-you so much for sharing.
We're heading to the Dalmation coast next week, on the OAT small ship "Artemis" going from Split and ending up in Athens.
I'm looking for dive opportunities along the say. We'll go to Hvar- sound like that's where you were. I'm going to do further research and maybe post a new thread. Happy Diving and please continue to share with us! Barbara

Back
Top Bottom