critter ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone put a name on this critter I saw near breakwater last Saturday. Pictures aren't the greatest, it was very red with the light on it, about 4-5 inches long.
I am thinking it's some kind of sea hare but the feathery gill like structures don't show up on the pictures of sea hares I found online. I believe it was laying white eggs on the stalk of the anemone.

thanks

Attachments

• PICT0637.jpg
    PICT0637.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 79
  • PICT0639.jpg
    PICT0639.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 71
Yep, we usually call them "giant" nudibranchs because they get so big, but "rainbow" is another common name. As someone said, Dendronotus iris is the official name. The first picture shows him/her with a nice egg ribbon. You find them along the breakwater sand flats where those big fields of tube-dwelling anemones are, because that's what they eat. If you happen to come upon one getting ready to feast, it's unforgettable. The nudi climbs up the side of the tube, rears back, then plunges head-first into the anemone's tentacles, and of course the anemone pulls in and sucks the nudibranch with it, thinking "Ha! Food!" Then the nudibranch's radula starts going, and now the anemone is thinking, "Oh, crap! I am food!" But by then there's no way to get loose, and the anemone is done for.

One reason they're called rainbow nudibranchs is because they come in lots of different colors, as well. We've seen them deep red like yours, nearly-pure white, and all manner of in-between. They're also called giant nudibranchs because they can get upwards of 12" long.

Regards,
The Too-Much-Information Department :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom