Critique My Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmith89

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok, Just bought bunches of new gear and want to hear everyone's opinion of it. Tell me what is good, bad, ugly or just plain wrong with what I got.

BC: Dive Rite SS Back Plate
OMS 35# Wing
Single Piece Webbing Harness
Scuba Pro Cam Bands Locking in Opposite Directions
Reg: Scuba Pro MK2+/R295
Mares MR12 Rebel Octopus
Dacor Supreme SPG

-Jacobi

jsmith89:
Ok, Just bought bunches of new gear and want to hear everyone's opinion of it. Tell me what is good, bad, ugly or just plain wrong with what I got.

OMS 35# Wing
Mares MR12 Rebel Octopus
Dacor Supreme SPG

-Jacobi
i hear nothing but good on the dive rite!!! i use the scuba pro regs and love em!! and i think you got all good gear, see what others say, but i know (my opinion) the dive rite and scuba pro equipment is all great gear!!

if you already made up your mind and bought all this whats the point on having others opinions ego??? just go take them diving ann enjoy

That question is a little like "give me your honest opinion of my girlfriend"... However, you are lucky, because you did well.

The only thing I wondered about was, given your BC setup and where you live (you lucky dog :)), it sounded like you might be headed toward some technical diving. In which case I might have gone for a different, higher performance (but not necessarily a lot more expensive) reg, like an Apeks DS4. However, even if you do head in that direction, the SP you got would end up being a fine stage reg.

The gear you got should serve you well through lots of different kinds of diving.

Just curious-no reason for asking--
Why did you get a Mares octo instead of another R295 for an octo? I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just curious.

I have the SP MK25 and I have never heard anything bad about SP. I don't think you can go wrong with anything in their line--except maybe the Air2.

jsmith89:

OMS 35# Wing
Mares MR12 Rebel Octopus
Dacor Supreme SPG

-Jacobi

Honest opinions...

DiveRite back plate, Good choice.
OMS Wing, I have no personal experience but it sounds fine.
Single piece webbing harness, Excellent choice.
ScubaPro bands, Excellent choice, but rig them in the same direction.
Reg, Servicable choice, but you may want to upgrade later as you go deeper and longer. Fine for standard recreational dive profiles.
Octo, I have no experience with this particular reg. I choose to keep to the same brand first and second stages, but this is a personal choice.
SPG, I have no experience with this particular SPG.

Mark Vlahos

They all sound like reasonable choices. No problems there.

I saw in one of your other posts that you got your gear at Olympus. I have nothing against Olympus, but in the future it might be worth your time to compare prices here:

http://www.bottomtime.com/

It's an hour west of Morehead City (in Sneads Ferry), but they can save you some $$$.

Have you been to http://www.ncdivers.com/ yet? It's a great source of info for all things scuba related in our area, and we'd love to have you join us.

___

Ok,
First off i went with the mares octo because honestly it was free and i figured since it is just my octo and will only be breathed off of under bad circumstances i can settle for an octo that doesn't breath the best in the world because well it was free

I bought from olympus mostly because i think they are good people. I looked online and at some of the other outfits near by but to be honest the money i spent at olympus was well spent. Ok i spent a little more but i know for sure if there is ever an issue i know i can rely on them to help me the best they can to fix it.

The reason i did not go with a more tech set up is because well right now i just turned 16 which means i can not even start to do any true tech diving for another 2 years when i turn 18.(yes stupid rule i know plenty of people under 18 who are much better divers and more responsible than their older counterparts) I figure over 2 years i will save some money and get a bigger wing for doubles and then two more nicer regs and keep this one as a spare/backup/stage rig. I think most of my gear will fins it's way into a nice tech rig down the road.

-Jacobi

(If anyone has any advice on how to make this rig better or any little things that may help this gear please share)

jsmith89:

OMS 35# Wing
Mares MR12 Rebel Octopus
Dacor Supreme SPG

-Jacobi

It's all garbage. But it in a box and send it to me for disposal ASAP.:D

Dive rite SS BP: Good Choice
OMS #35: Never try one, but most OMS Wings have 18" corrugated hose that should be replace with a shorter one 14 to 16" long.
Single Piece Webbing: is an excellent choice easy and cheap to make yourself.
Scuba Pro Cam Bands: good choice
Scuba Pro Reg: no experience
Mares MR12 Rebel Octopus: no experience
Dacor Supreme SPG: This SPG is OK, will probably go on a Deco bottle when you become a tech diver.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom