Crew Gratuities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally give a $300 tip for a 7 day, Aggressor-caliber liveaboard, and I think that's generous.

miesemer:
Maybe you're confused on the tip distribution? The 15% tip gets split between the dive crew (typically all instructors), house keeping, galley staff, first mate and engineering. I just returned from an Aqua Cat cruise which carries 22 passengers and 11 crew. The 15% tip on this trip ended up being $270 per person. You had the potential to do 26 dives per week, had meals waiting for you three times a day and, yes, my room and bath cleaned, bed made and fresh towels waiting.

If you haven't been on a liveaboard dive trip, I highly recommend it.

BTW - our stateroom on the Aqua Cat had a queen bed and single bed, a full bath and a mini refrigerator.

You're right, I have never done one. I cannot share a room with a stranger,[ have trouble sleeping and get up several times a night, plus I snore ], so I think paying the single supplement of 70% more for a private room will put it out of reach for me. If the 15% went to all the hands that might make it a bit different but Im not tipping anyone $750.

vladimir:
I generally give a $300 tip for a 7 day, Aggressor-caliber liveaboard, and I think that's generous.

Aggressors have a crew of 6 if I recall. That is $50 / 6 crew = $7 per day per crew member.

You think $7 per day is a "generous" tip for 5 dives a day, 3 meals & 2 snacks, housekeeping service, tank fills, photo advice, and site briefings?

The tip is always at your discretion, but if you go on a class outing like Aggressor you should be willing to leave a class tip if they treat you right.

theskull

pilot fish:

Let me be the one to tell you that you're CHEAP.

If you ever do actually get on a liveaboard, be sure and let the crew know that up front so they don't go one extra step out of their way to help you beyond the minimum. With 700+ posts since your 11/04 join date leaves me thinking you don't dive all that often.

These people bust their butt on most boats. You probably think working on a liveaboard is 95% fun and 5% work for the crew.

Aggressors have a crew of 6 if I recall. That is $50 / 6 crew = $7 per day per crew member.

You think $7 per day is a "generous" tip for 5 dives a day, 3 meals & 2 snacks, housekeeping service, tank fills, photo advice, and site briefings?

My last Aggressor had 18 divers, I think. If they all were as stingy as I was, that's $150 a day in gratuities per crew member. For a 250 day work year, that's $37,500. (50/6=8.33*18=150*250=$37,500) Presumably their employer contributes something to their compensation as well. Doesn't seem too bad, but maybe I'm wrong.

I realize people in the industry would like the tips to be higher. Are most other divers tipping better than this?

deepstops:
Let me be the one to tell you that you're CHEAP.

If you ever do actually get on a liveaboard, be sure and let the crew know that up front so they don't go one extra step out of their way to help you beyond the minimum. With 700+ posts since your 11/04 join date leaves me thinking you don't dive all that often.

These people bust their butt on most boats. You probably think working on a liveaboard is 95% fun and 5% work for the crew.

I think that's a bit harsh, Brian. I think $300 for the week is a fine tip. You state that we should consider tank fills, 3 meals a day, advice and house keeping in mind when tippping?When you pay $2800 for a shared room those items are figured into that amount. What you are asking is for divers to supplement a DM's salary that the boss will not pay them. I have NO problem whatsoever giving a $300 tip at the end of the week.

As to your other questions. I don't dive as often as a person lliving in Fort Lauderdale, I can tell ya, but I get about 35 to 40 dives a year. I have a total of 95 dives to date. I will be diving next week in Coz and then in your neck of the woods in May. I will again be diving in June or July and then once again before the end of the year. As to my post total. Lots of interesting stuff. Maybe you should post more?

Do I think they "bust their butts" No. I think they work like the rest of us. They have the added pleasure in doing something they enjoy, in the outdoors, on a boat, in beautiful surroundings. Sounds good.

So, yes, I think $300 is a fine tip.

pilot fish:
I think that's a bit harsh, Brian. I think $300 for the week is a fine tip. You state that we should consider tank fills, 3 meals a day, advice and house keeping in mind when tippping?When you pay $2800 for a shared room those items are figured into that amount. What you are asking is for divers to supplement a DM's salary that the boss will not pay them. I have NO problem whatsoever giving a $300 tip at the end of the week.

As to your other questions. I don't dive as often as a person lliving in Fort Lauderdale, I can tell ya, but I get about 35 to 40 dives a year. I have a total of 95 dives to date. I will be diving next week in Coz and then in your neck of the woods in May. I will again be diving in June or July and then once again before the end of the year. As to my post total. Lots of interesting stuff. Maybe you should post more?

Do I think they "bust their butts" No. I think they work like the rest of us. They have the added pleasure in doing something they enjoy, in the outdoors, on a boat, in beautiful surroundings. Sounds good.

So, yes, I think $300 is a fine tip.

I agree, on Princess cruise lines they automatically deduct $10. per day, on a liveaboard giving up 10% is plenty for a tip. The DMs are there to make a living, not to get rich, or make more than the customers who has saved for years to afford a liveaboard.

Opinionated,
Caymaniac :crafty:

caymaniac:
I agree, on Princess cruise lines they automatically deduct $10. per day, on a liveaboard giving up 10% is plenty for a tip. The DMs are there to make a living, not to get rich, or make more than the customers who has saved for years to afford a liveaboard.

Opinionated,
Caymaniac :crafty:

I think that's it, Caymaniac, diving a liveaboard is expensive enough without having to over-tip, especially for services that are included in the price in the first place. Nothing onboard is free. The owners charge extra for lots of stuff, nitrox, liquor [who drinks and dives anyway?] even the size of your bed, larger one is extra. I can't think of any DM that would look down his nose at a $300 tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom