Crete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeanieDella

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

My husband and I are moving to Souda Bay in Feb. What are some good shops to hook up with?

Hello Hello
Unfortunatlly I haven't been to Crete since 2002 what a fantastic place. Warm and hospitable people, plenty of historical and archologcal site to see and great food to eat. Since I've never been to Hawaii I can't compare it but I think the diving won't be as good. There's not too much marine life to see because it's been over fished but then again you can be surprised. Crete being also an Island there are places that you can dive off the beach and reach a depth of 40 meters without feeling it. I dove in the northeastern part called Elounda bay on our first visit and our second visit we stayed in a hotel apartments just above Souda Bay. I went diving near Palicorhia. If you are an experinced diver look into a trip to a place called Clypso Rock. I was told about this place from a divemaster who dove there she said it was like skydiving. Crystal clear water visiblity almost forever!! Check it out. Later on in the spring take the Samaria Gorge walk it's unbelievable!!! Have fun and enjoy.
Rauven Schneider

Mahalo for all the info. I will definitely be looking it all of this.

What are the winters like?

Shalom, Shalom
I'm sure that the winters aren't too different than here {Israel}. You'll get some rain, and some sunshine. We where in Crete in late june and the White Mountians south of Irekilon was still had snow covered peaks. February is towards the end of the winter but you'll still get rain and chilly weather through to end of March April. Spring must be soooo beautiful there. What I didn't say in my last letter was what a wonderful town Chania is. It has a lovely old quarter with cafe's and bestros, markets. I'd go back to Crete for third visit and to see the southern protion which is a lot less populated. Don't forget to go see the Lithisas {I'm not sure how it is spelled} Plateu with the wind mills and Zues's cave, and Agios Nicklos! How long will you be on Crete for?
Enjoy Rauven Schneider

My husband will be there for 18 months, I will stay on Oahu and travel to Greece every 3 or so months (b/c I guess I can only stay for 3 months at a time and then I have to leave for 3 months).
I'm also looking forward to going over to Losinj Croatia.

Shalom, Shalom
I'm sure that the winters aren't too different than here {Israel}. You'll get some rain, and some sunshine. We where in Crete in late june and the White Mountians south of Irekilon was still had snow covered peaks. February is towards the end of the winter but you'll still get rain and chilly weather through to end of March April. Spring must be soooo beautiful there. What I didn't say in my last letter was what a wonderful town Chania is. It has a lovely old quarter with cafe's and bestros, markets. I'd go back to Crete for third visit and to see the southern protion which is a lot less populated. Don't forget to go see the Lithisas {I'm not sure how it is spelled} Plateu with the wind mills and Zues's cave, and Agios Nicklos! How long will you be on Crete for?
Enjoy Rauven Schneider

May I make a small correction BobSch? It is LASITHI Plateu and Agios Nikolaos. They are very good places and quiet also. Worth a look. If anome of you find yourselves in Heraklion send me a message. We can also do some diving together if you like. And yes, Chania is avery beautiful town,but so is Rethymno too. If you have some extra time, don't ommit to visit the South Coast of Crete. It has more beautiful beaches there and a bit more fish life as I've been told. C U

Lasithi Plateau i lovely and Agios is nice, especially around the lake. Used to like Plaka but massive hotel build has turned that into something non relaxing and busy now.
The diving is poor island wide though, usual Mediterranean bare rock and no fish.

In Chania, I recommend Blue Adventures specially (or rather exclusively :wink: for the cave/cavern dives (accessible to most divers).
I was disapointed by the few open water (non cave) dives done on the north coast : less visibility than south and less sealife.
Be sure though to visit Elephant Cave with Paradise diving center beetween Rethymno and Chania.

I can not disagree with the good comment about Kalypso Rocks Palace : I've worked there 3 full seasons and going back again for next one (went on vacations there in beetween :)
Fell in love with that peculiar spot...

I made some video of a few places there : check out "jeromesmeets" account on youtube
(can not post links here because of the anti-spam filter)

I believe the diving centers open officially around late April at the soonest but if you like to dive before, I should be there by late March at the latest :wink:

And yes, Samaria Gorges are a must! Don't forget a mask and snorkel, the water at the end of the walk is crystal clear.

Happy bubbles !

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom