Cressi-sub Orca Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello

I need to buy a diving knife but I am not sure which one to choose. I found the cressis-sub orca. This knife is big but looks like it's very durable. What are your oppinions about this knife? Is there anyother knife that you can advise me buy other than this? Thank you.

Attachments

• orca.jpg
    orca.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,250
Sure it will do the job. It seems very big, something Rambo would use. I prefer smaller knives with blunt end/points. Something like this.

knife.png

I guess it depends what you intend doing with it.

That style of knife (the Cressi) is popular for working / Military type diving, the sheath is almost indestructable, the blade is large and strong enough to be used for a variety of tasks from cutting to prising to levering, it has a solid brass head which can be used to hammer, crush, bang, the knife is well secured in the sheath with a replaceable handle ring fastener and it can be secured on your inside calf out of the way.

Personally, I like them, but I do agree, its probably a bit of overkill if you just need it for recreational diving, when a smaller more compact knife will be better suited.

I used to hava a Mares Tris knife from the 1980s I think. I think it's blade was 7" . I loved that knife. It was a very old knife but was exteremly durable. I once cut a steel wire with it's serrated side, it was like cutting butter. It even had a bottle opener on it. But I lost it during a dive. Now looking for a knife that's as good, but could not found one except the cressi orca. It lacks the bottle opener quality but shares all the others with my old tris. The modern knives I found look so weak. I think manufacturers produce those small, toy like knives only because of the cost reason. They even do not fit well in my hand. Think about the steel used in that orca. You can maybe produce 4 knives with the steel used on that single one.

I also found the brand Kabar. Kabar next generation looks good. I think that's the one navy seals use. What do you think?

…Personally, I like them, but I do agree, its probably a bit of overkill if you just need it for recreational diving, when a smaller more compact knife will be better suited.

Does it hold a decent edge, or do you use it more for prying and pounding? I didn’t realize the butt was chrome plated brass, thanks.

Does it hold a decent edge, or do you use it more for prying and pounding? I didn’t realize the butt was chrome plated brass, thanks.

No not really, but I guess the blade is more designed as a heavy duty tool, than an efficient cutting instrument, at least thats how I use it.:D

Yes, the brass head on the handle is one of its best features in my opinion, I have literally pounded bearings out of cases with it.

you will find that carrying a big knife which is hardly used will become troublesome. Best are those small ones that attach to your bcd hose like the scubapro above! get titanium if you can, will resist rusting particularly well.

you will find that carrying a big knife which is hardly used will become troublesome. Best are those small ones that attach to your bcd hose like the scubapro above! get titanium if you can, will resist rusting particularly well.
What's the price difference between a titanium knife and an equivalent stainless steel one? It seems like a waste of money on something that most recreational divers rarely use. I use $9 stainless-steel shears. When they get rusty, I buy a new pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom