Cressi Horizon - Garbage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
So i bought a Cressi Horizon last week to see if it might be better than my current Big Eyes. I thought i couldnt hate a piece of gear more than the crap Volos i bought a couple years ago. I was wrong. This piece of trash is absolutely horrible. First, there is one aspect of utter uselessness i could have avoided but thought i'd try - the clear skirt. Not only do they yellow over time and look ugly (i had a clear skirt big eyes a couple years ago) but in this case, it seemed to have been an awful source of light for glair in the upper 1/3 of the lens - this portion of the lens was absolutely useless as it was reflecting the surface light down to about 30 feet or so and it wasn't even a clear sunny day. I'd heard about this glare before but never did i dream it could be so pronounced. Putting a few fingers at the top of the mask to block out the light got rid of the problem but makes you look like a fool as you're diving i'm sure, so i doubt that would be a long term option.

Flaw number two is exactly what they're selling this based on. The side windows. I've been thinking lately there might be something missing in my field of vision with my black skirt and flat big eyes windows. So, that was my main reason for trying that this time around. Well, my buddies and I were doing a few things and quite often i could see moving forms near by which was them. However, I had no feeling for how close they might be til I turned my head and they were many feet closer than I had seen through the side lenses. It was so incredibly distracting that I cant imagine using this on any real dive. In fact the view on this mask was so poor, i had to abandon it 15 minutes into the dive and trade it out for my big eyes with my (now cherrished) black skirt. I'm not sure i would say the horizon with a dark skirt would be as bad, but i know the horizon with the clear skirt was an absolutely undiveable piece of wasted plastic. It will be going back to the shop tomorrow.

The other two guys i dove with tried it before i took it out to switch and both agreed. We were all looking forward to this being a decent mask, but it was horrid.

steve

I've got the Horizon with a black skirt.

I can't say I've noticed any distractions. The side windows aren't what they are cracked up to be. Can't expect too much as far as that goes with a low profile mask.

At least you liked the Big Eyes.

Ya, i'm a Big Eyes fan. I've tried about 20 masks on in the past couple of weeks and I cant say i've found any that have even made me think for an instant about getting rid of it. Thats why i was hoping that the horizon may be just that small step better. Wow was i disappointed.

steve

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

While I might not call it a treasure....I have the horizon and it works really well for me. I altered the strap by putting the adjustable padded one they have out....cant remember the name....and it works just fine.

But I guess that is why there are so many dive equipment manufactures.!!

If undistorted and unfragmented peripheral vision is important you might want to take a look at the MegaMax from Hydroptix. Downsides are a large volume and expense, but nothing can touch it for the natural and expansive view.

David

As with all masks that have "windows" on the side for side-view....ummm..yeah, that doesn't work. It's not flat glass, it's ever-so-slightly curved. This throws off the image. I have a Tusa PanoGeo (I know, not even a close comaprison), but the side windows show me a distorted image of what's 45 degrees behind and to the side of me. I actually like it because I can keep track of my buddy with out turning around every few feet as long as I see movement in the side window.
As for the yellowing, that's to be expected. My clear skirt in almost brown now. So what if it looks ugly, it works and works well. If I wanted it to stay nice a pretty I'd leave it in a shoebox in my closet.
I wanted to go to the BigEyes or Horizon, but when trying them on the frame touches my forhead right between the eyes and I'm sure it would be a presure point after about 10 minutes.

I read all the reviews and opinions and was quite excited to purchase a Cressi Horizon. The only problem is that I've got a mustache, so I really wanted to try it on beforehand. I got to the dive shop, put it on, tried to suck in the mask, and found that air was leaking through at the bottom of my cheek bones. I then proceeded to try on an Xvision and fell immediately in love. I was able to suck that baby right up to my face. The mask feels a billion times lighter, fits like a glove, and those strap clips are pure genius. As a sidenote, my girlfriend, who was also purchasing a new mask, had the same experience. She too thought the Xvision was a dream compared to the Horizon.

Unfortunately the true fieldtest won't be conducted until our vacation to Dahab in August.....

Mike

I've got an horizon with a black skirt it's one of my favourites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom