Cressi dive computer owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad053

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cressi dive computer owners,

I'm interested in buying the Giotto and I've read a few things about it's safety stop timer. Potentially the same for Leonardo and other Cressi models.

It seems like it doesn't have a second timer but a minute timer at 5 metres for 3 minutes. My question is, after 3, 2, 1, does it say finish or something to notify that the 3 minutes are complete?

I've read a lot of people complaining about that it not having a second timer which i don't really care as long as it notifies when the 3 minutes are complete.

Thank you for any advice,
Cheers
Shad

Newton and ex Leonardo owner here. At the end of the 3 minutes ss they do a beep and go back to normal diving mode.
The beep is not too loud. If you have a hood and/or noise (bubbles, noisy buddies etc) it's easy to miss it. But personally I don't find this a big deal. I usually try to stay at 5m as long as practically possible. The longer the better

Thanks mate, not a deal breaker for me. I can live with that.

I've read a lot of people complaining about that it not having a second timer which i don't really care as long as it notifies when the 3 minutes are complete.

Note that if you're finishing in the shallows you may even miss the 3/3 countdown: it triggers when you hit ~5m and continues as long as you stay between ~7 and 2 m. If you descend to 7-ish for less than a minute or two (I forget teh exact numbers), the icon goes away but the countdown continues.

Note that if you're finishing in the shallows you may even miss the 3/3 countdown: it triggers when you hit ~5m and continues as long as you stay between ~7 and 2 m. If you descend to 7-ish for less than a minute or two (I forget teh exact numbers), the icon goes away but the countdown continues.
It actually starts counting down exactly at 6m (at 6m it beeps once). If during the SS you fall below 6m for few seconds (maybe up to a minute) the counter stops but won't reset, hence it will continue counting down from the last value once you are above 6m. But if you do this (going up and down around 6m) few times then the SS counter just get disabled for the current dive. This happens to me quite often when I do shallow shore dives as I keep looking around, but for normal dives it is not a problem.

If during the SS you fall below 6m for few seconds (maybe up to a minute) the counter stops but won't reset, hence it will continue counting down from the last value once you are above 6m. But if you do this (going up and down around 6m) few times then the SS counter just get disabled for the current dive.

You're right, it does not keep counting, but it stays in the "SS countdown" mode.

I'm not sure "just get disabled" is the correct way of putting it though: I suspect if you keep bouncing around 6 metres it will keep counting on and off until your 3 minutes is cleared. Either that or it'll calculate it as off-gassing to the point where you no longer need a safety stop -- that's how the numbers work out anyway.

I think if I go back down to 10-ish meters for a minute or more, the 3/3 icon will re-appear on ascent. I hardly ever do that but I believe that happened to me once or twice. I.e. it's not disabled entirely, it's only disabled if you stay above the no-limit depth for the rest of the dive.

I think if I go back down to 10-ish meters for a minute or more, the 3/3 icon will re-appear on ascent. I hardly ever do that but I believe that happened to me once or twice. I.e. it's not disabled entirely, it's only disabled if you stay above the no-limit depth for the rest of the dive.
I think after few times (maybe 5?) it gets disabled. I used to dive around these depths and it happened to me few times. I now do deeper dives and hence I avoid such profiles.
It doesn't really matter because such profiles are rare and should be avoided anyway

It doesn't really matter because such profiles are rare and should be avoided anyway

We tend to follow the top of the wall at the end of the dive, and then the sand all the way to entry point. That often results in a long stay at 8-6-5 metres and I often don't even see the 3/3 icon on those dives. You won't go back down from there but sometimes you see something cool below from the top of the wall...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom