Cressi big eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fit aside, the Cessi Big Eyes are a substandard choice due to it's plastic lenses.

I own a couple Cressi Big Eyes, and both masks have lenses that have a T in the outside upper corner of the glass, which I understood to indicate Tempered, as in Tempered Glass.

I have owned these masks for many years so I guess it's possible there have been changes, but both my Big Eyes look to have glass lenses.

I can find no field of view numbers for the original Big Eyes, but the "Evolution" does lose the width measurement by 5 degrees. The vertical measurement is the same as the AA Frameless.

As far a volume is concerned, all we have to go on are manufacturer claims; no actual volume measurements that I can find.

Here is the Cressi claims for the Big Eyes;
Cressi Sub:
This mask has totally revolutionised the sector, thanks to the new and exclusive principles that it has introduced and which represent just as many milestones.
For the first time in the world the lenses are not parallel to the face but are raked and have an "inverted drop" shape, with a very particular formation, the structure of which is covered by international patent.
The anatomically shaped band is very narrow and is invisible when the mask is worn.
The all round visibility, above all downwards, reaches unprecedented limits, exceeding those of a traditional mask by 30%, allowing dressing and equipment checks that were impossible before the arrival of Big Eyes.
The raking of the lenses and the consequent shape of the skirt drastically reduce the internal volume of the mask which is similar to that of free diving models.
The soft silicone skirt and the wide sealing ring against the face make the mask very comfortable to use.
Two tilting buckles guarantee quick and accurate adjustment of the strap.
An excellent mask for both snorkelling and scuba diving.

I too have leakage problems with cressi big eyes. But I have trouble with a lot of
masks in that way.

I would think you want minimal volume for free-diving, but I don't have a recommendation for a low volume mask.

My favorite, best fitting, most comfortable mask is in the Mares liquidskin line.. very nice.

You guys may be right although their website does not reference the lens material which most do if glass. Mine, which I purchased in 2000 fit great but the lens started turning yellow a few years later. They may have since changed to glass...

Scuba Diving Masks

I am looking at a getting another mask, one I can use for both scuba and freediving. First I was looking at the Cressi Minima and am now thinking the big eyes might be a better choice but there are apparently a few different ones. So what is the difference between the various types of big eyes and would any of them do well for both scuba and freediving?
Thanks,
Gary
I own a Cressi Minima and carry it with me as a spare mask on deep / cold / wreck dives. It's the lowest-volume mask with nose pocket I've ever seen.

I also own a big-eyes, one of the originals. I use it a lot when teaching new divers. It's tempered glass, not plastic (I would be very surprised to hear that Cressi were marketing a plastic-lensed mask--anyone have evidence for that?).

The chief advantages of the big-eyes extended teardrop shape (for me) are twofold:
  1. lots more visibility in the downward plane, even after adding gauge readers
  2. a better view for students of my eyes and expression

I know that some facial geometries (nasolabial folds, for instance) can make a big-eyes leak. Some find it works well one day, not so well the next.

If I were shopping for a mask for both scuba and freediving, I would go somewhere in between these two extremes. I would tell you what other masks I own and use but I think they're all out of production (like my fins).

-Bryan

I agree, the big eyes are glass. Perhaps you are referring to the minima mask which is plastic.

I have owned quite a few masks from mares to cressi and a host of others... Cressi masks are really well built and are as durable as anything else out there.

I would say the Occhio plus is a good multi purpose mask for some free diving and scuba.

SangP

First off, a mask is all about fitting to your face. If it leaks, it's gonna suck whether you pay $19 or $200. I tried on 30 to 40 masks for fit and their field of view and ended up with a Cressi Matrix which I don't think is that much different from the Big Eyes, and absolutely love it! I have an extra for backup. It fits my face perfect, has excellent view for my diving (mostly Monterey), comfortable and durable. I didn't care for the strap that came with it so I changed that out. I find it has very low volume. YMMV and just my 2 cents. :wink:

I own a lot of masks....both the Cressi Matrix and two versions of the Bigeye...as well as just about every other make...and the bigeye evolution is my favorite.

There are several good reasons to buy a mask... not leaking being the usual top of the list, but comfort and field of view could be almost as important. But would like to throw out a third issue. I may, ah, 40 plus years of diving and teaching, I have seen exactly one mask where the lens broke... until about 6 months ago. The first one was from being thrown into a rock by a wave... but the last three were very odd...

Two involved the mask being dropped a fairly short distance on carpet, and one from someone jumping into the water to help someone, and just hitting the water caused it to blow up. All were frameless... one was Atomic. Seems that the large surface, thin tempered glass of the lens, and the lack of exterior support means it is possible to exceed the stress limits on the lens.. So, while individual lens do not offer the same field of view, they are tremendously more durable.

I own three Cressi Big Eyes. I've had them for years (since first released) and they are still going strong - so no question of reliability and ruggedness.

They fit my face really well, so I stick with them. They literally 'suck' to my face. Other than fit, I do like the ability to 'look down' and see my chest area, due to the teardrop design and lens angle.

The only thing I really didn't like about them was the buckles where you thread the mask strap were flimsy. They broke regularly. Having fixed/replaced them several times, I just gave up and now thread a neoprene/velcro 'slap' strap directly through the 'hole' where the buckle used to be. That's an industructable solution that won't ever let you down.

The newer variant have more complex buckles/straps :( and the liquidskin skirt :) (those felt nice in the shop).

Back
Top Bottom