Cressi Big Eyes Mask Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ever since I started doing underwater video, I've loved the Cressi Big Eyes masks because they give me a great field of vision and are low volume, allowing me to press my eyues close to the rear port of my housing.

However, I've owned four of these masks. The first three all failed on me due to what I consider a design failure in the mask strap buckles. Each one had one buckle break, rendering the mask totally unusable. The latest one was yesterday just before my first dive of the day.

I was wondering how many others who use(d) this mask have had similar problems. Were you able to get them repaired reasonably by Cressi or your LDS? If you have switched to another mask, what one did you choose that has similar characteristics?

I have a number of back-up masks, and always keep one in my dive bag. However almost all of them are masks I've found and none of them have the field of view or low volume of the Big Eyes.

I use the Big Eyes also, but I only have occasional leaking around my nose when I smile. But ive never had a problem with the strap buckle.

I had to move away from Big Eyes before any buckles breaking but the other Cressi mask that I thought about gave about the same field and volume was Matrix. The buckle on that one is definitely different. Buddy has the mask and has not had problems, altho the strap is weird size, very slim.

I use Atomic Subframe. Very low volume. Mask comes nearly too close to the face (when I frown my brow sometimes touches the glass). I like the field of vision on that one but more so it's a question of fit of course.

I have about 70 dives with my big eyes and no problems and I do love the mask.

My buddy dive a Cressi big-eye and also had a buckle failure. He tried to buy a replacement buckle for the local dealer but dealer said he would fix for free under warranty. When buddy went to tick it up, he decided to charge him $5 for postage. Stupid. Bottom line is it is repairable.

Many ppl had that buyed ,I had buyed 2 masks named Sky off that

producer,she not bad but Boysir as some else told,that that leaks as much.what

ever.

E.L.7*

I had to give up on my Big-Eyes. Seems my face was a little too small for it causing too much leakage, otherwise it was a good mask. I now use Scubapro Fino which is also low volume.

I had done way over 300 dives with my cressi big eye mask over the past 3 years now.
Had it appart many times for cleaning and still going strong,
You must be just very unlucky or doing something wrong cant think what that may be though.
Mine will probably break now I have sung its praises.

I have 2 Big Eye masks that I have used for around 4 years (around 300 dives). No problems so far. I don't know how many dives I have on each mask as it is random as to which one I actually grab out of my gear bag.

The only thing that comes to mind is how tight you may be wearing your mask. I wear mine rather loose so I may not be putting alot of stress on the buckles. Other than that can't think of anything. LP was recently selling Big Eyes for <$25.

Scott

Wow, we own 20 Big Eyes (rental gear) and never had one failure. Our 10 Matrix masks will be replaced with Big Eyes because of the funky buckle and off size strap. I hate to hear about this because the HEX will will be on us now......darn....why did I read this? .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom