Cressi Archimede Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone out there have experience with the Cressi Archimede computer? Your comments would be appreciated.

Yeah, I bought one and have 6 freshwater dives on it. The display is large and very easy to read. It's so easy that your dive buddy can probably see the display. In fact on a few dives, Aquamaniac read the display just looking over my shoulder without me even knowing it.

The user interface it very easy. Everything is menu driven. A big plus since I didn't want to be carting out the manual all the time. The battery is user replaceable, although I have a ways to go before I need that feature.

There are three buttons which control it. They are easy to push even with gloves on. The unit is always on, telling you the time. When you hit the water it switches to dive mode and actually starts counting time.

The wrist strap is of decent length that you can easily fit it on top of a wetsuit. For those who want to replace the strap with bungees, you'll have a bit more work. The strap holes are small, barely big enough for some fishing line so you'd have to do some fishing line/bungee combo or drill out the holes.

The only thing I miss (well not right now, but maybe in the future) is a gauge mode - it doesn't have it. Although someone mentioned you could put it into 50% nitrox mode and you'd get something equivalent. I'm just ow certified so this is all beyond me. So this computer will grow with you through air and nitrox non-deco diving. It hits its limits when you progess to deco and/or trimix diving. My personal plan is to move very slowly through the diving certs so it will be some time (or never) before I get to trimix.

Don't have the pc interface yet. I'm waiting for DiveInn to get it in stock.

I like the computer. It's so easy to use that it's blended into the background with all my other stuff.

According to the owners manual, which I downloaded from Cressi UK, the Archimede has a reset button on the back. I suspect you could use the computer as a guage, and if you violated a deco stop per the computer (but not violated according to the tables you were using) the computer could be reset and ready to go as a guage for the next dive. Of course alarms would go off and people would wonder what you were doing.

By the way, can you compare the Archimede to other computers with respect to conservatism?

Don't have any experience with any other computer so I can't compare the algorithm. It has two settings: a normal mode and a more conservative safety setting.

The first link drogerstn provided is a review where they said that the Archimede used a sister algorithm to the successful Uwatec computer line. That sounded good to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom