Creeping intermediate pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The intermediate pressure on my Scubapro MK17 creeps a little, and I'm leaving on a month long trip in two weeks, expecting to do 50–60 dives. The last time I had it serviced was in October last year, a little over 100 dives ago.

Results from checks described in this post, other than #9, are fine.

Can you tell from this information whether it's necessary to get it serviced before the trip, or whether it can wait until I get back?

P.S. To those who are not repair technicians, or otherwise regulator-savvy: I would appreciate it if you could hold back on the 'why take the chance' replies :wink:...

There are a number of problems that could be there, an HP seat requiring change, possible flooding of the first stage with some internal moisture or corrosion. The list is long. Get the regulator serviced now and ask the shop to leave it pressurized for three days to make sure everything is ok and then tested

Awap will probably reply to this post too with even more meaningful contribution

There are many things that can be the cause of IP creep. That said, IP creep means the HP seat is not sealing 100% for what ever reason.

I would have the reg serviced and then do some dives before you go. I'm sure a month long trip with many dives cost you a few pennies. Don't go with gear you already know is not behaving.

I don't think I'll be able to dive it after servicing, before I leave.

(The trip is for research by the way; most of it is funded.)

My experience is all piston regs, not diaphragms. You didn't define what a little creep or whether this is a recent symptom. My older SP piston regs (Mk5 & 10) often show a little creep (less than 5 psi) even shortly after service. But it is stable and does not effect performance. It does not seem to be any problem and it takes quite a few dives (or years) before it progresses into the 10+ psi range. That is when I usually service mine. But 100 dives is probably approaching the point where service may be required. I would be hesitant to go off on a trip with 50 dives planned with that regulator without a good backup plan. I also would be hesitant to go off on such a trip with a freshly serviced regulator.

Whenever I go on a dive trip I always carry an extra regulator, set up and ready to go. Even a relatively inexpensive spare beats the hell out of the best warranty when you are ready to dive. I'd suggest you at least consider a backup regulator, 1st and 2nd stage. Then it is a matter of how bad is the creep and how much you trust your tech as to whether to service your primary rig before the trip. With the backup regulator a problem, whether it be due to lack of servi9ce or to a service error or defective part, should not be that big of an issue.

Good luck.

I also would be hesitant to go off on such a trip with a freshly serviced regulator.

Very good point. I also hate to service the regulator just before a trip hence my suggestion to keep it in the shop for 3 days before testing. However for some reason it does change when it goes from fresh to salt so the unpredictable can happen. I found this happening with Mares not with Scubapro but I guess it depends on the shop you use for servicing

Hey Joris,

Where in the Netherlands are you located.
If close to Leidschendam,just drop in and we'll have a look.

Thanks everyone.

I think the creep is less than 10 psi, and I don't know how long it's been there; I found out today.

So anyway, I've just dropped by my dive centre; they took a quick look at the interstage pressure and told me it could wait till I get back. :headscratch:

I guess I could bring the MK2 Plus I have lying around.

Edit:
@ 300bar: Thanks for the offer but I'm quite far away :wink:...

Last edited:
It also depends on what you define as creep. If for example, it quickly locks up at 135psi then eases up to 140 psi over a small amount of time then becomes stable at 140, I would not worry to much about it. On the other hand, if it continues to increase in pressure then you should have it looked at before the trip...and pack the MK-2 for good measure.

Back
Top Bottom