Creel Diver Fatality - Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I am not sure about what they mean by creel fishing? Wikipedia has a little about the local use: Creel (basket) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diver dies in hospital following accident off Isle of Lewis beach | Highlands & Islands | News | STV
A man who died following a diving accident on the Isle of Lewis has been named locally.
Iain Macleod, who lived on Great Bernera, got into trouble while diving underwater in the north of Great Bernera off the rugged west coast of Lewis.
The accident occurred in the Kyles of Bernera - a strait of sea between the islands of Great Bernera and uninhabited Little Bernera. The scene is close to Bosta beach, a popular tourist attraction.
It is thought the 44-year-old was diving at a creel fishing boat.
The alarm was raised at 5.30pm on Sunday and he was recovered to the slipway in the area. Half an hour later he was airlifted by coastguard rescue helicopter to Western Isles hospital in Stornoway.
A police spokesman said: “A 44-year-old male was airlifted to Western Isles Hospital by coastguard helicopter. Despite efforts by hospital staff the male was later pronounced deceased.
“The procurator fiscal has been informed and a report will be submitted.”
Mr Macleod was employed by his brother-in-law who is a slater and roughcaster, said a villager. His wife Norma works for Western Isles NHS board.
The couple lived in Breaclet, the main settlement on Great Bernera and have a teenage daughter.
One islander said: “It is a terrible tragedy. Iain was a nice guy. He was popular with people in the community. Like everyone else brought up in Bernera he was around the sea and boats all his life.
“We knew something was far wrong when the police and ambulance went racing by. The coastguard team rushed by as well.
“I was told Iain was working on anchor for a creel boat in the Kyles of Bernera. There was an ambulance by the slipway by the shore.”

A creel is a lobster pot or a net trap for similar crustacians in most parts of the UK. Boats drop creels onto the seabed and come back for them later (hopefully full by then).

that's what creel fishing usually refers to.

Is it a Scottish term? I never heard it on the south coast.

The Wikipedia link I gave goes to the Scottish description.

Massive side issue but I have dived all over the UK and have seen creels as far apart as Scotland, Wales and Cornwall. So maybe started as a Scottish word but they are used throughout the UK as a means of crustacean fishing. I was brought up on the south west coast of England and now live in the north west but have never heard of them referred to as anything other than creels.

we used to make a point of jamming the trap doors open when we encountered then whilst diving but since our seas seem to have regained some of our lobster population, and we are a bit more mature than we were, we don't tend to go in for that sort of sabotage anymore. Still bloody annoying when your DSMB gets snagged on one of the creel lines though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom