Credit Cards Warranties/Purchase Protection and Dive Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you purchase new gear, assuming you pay with a credit card, which one do you use? I came across this discussion that compares purchase protection and warranties (Extended Warranty, Amex vs Visa Signature vs MasterCard World and Platinum), and it in general makes me want to use Amex (if accepted by the LDS).

key part is accepted by the LDS -- several of the LDS i've been to down here don't accept Amex - in fact a lot of places don't accept it anymore due to their high rates.

True enough, but when it is taken? Most people in NYC and LeisurePro do accept it.

FWIW, I use AmEx for darn near everything. Their Customer Service, (in my experiences), is un-matched. I've never had to use the offered "purchase Protections", etc. But they do have other "insurance products", that are great; i.e. 100% Car Rental, Travel Medical, Travel, etc. Plus on top of it all, I'm a Points wh**e. If I can buy a gumball with AmEx, I usually do :) My points usually pay for a good chunk of my dive travel. As a Consumer, I've actually had some luck in convincing businesses that I do business with, to start accepting AmEx. Yes, as a business they ding you more, but accepting AmEx will open up the gates for more business coming in, just my opinion. My local sushi bar finally gave in to me whining about not accepting AmEx, then finally did. He was missing out on a certain amount of business, especially the "Business Lunch & Dinner" demographic. Not saying his business doubled, but did develop more foot traffic & $.

Ive only had to use it once. But it wasn't for dive gear. A HDD died on me and the shop I bought it from wouldn't warranty it. Its a good backup, but its a nightmare to actually claim from Visa. I would rather deal with shop, manufacturer, then credit card. That said, dive gear does go on the credit card. Because big purchases that you pay off, look good to them :wink:

I'm actually considering dropping Amex because of their fee's. I don't think I will see any drop in business because, while someone with a Visa or MC might not have Amex, everyone with Amex has another card to use. Those percentage points add up quickly.

If you get good quality gear and keep it under warranty, then it doesn't matter what card you used or didn't use. Your LDS should make it good. Personally, I've never had a problem come to me that someone offered a credit card warranty so I don't know how I'd handle that one.

Back
Top Bottom