Credit card theft in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been Cozumel 6 times, and I always use cash. Never once used my credit card. Although I do take one with, since you need it to check in. At the end I have them tear it up, and I pay any room charges with cash.
My sister used her credit card in Cozumel to buy a 1000.00 ring. When the bill came she also had a charge on there for 50.00 they called an "Exchange rate" charge. So be careful what you do with credit cards.

Credit card fraud happens every day in the US. That exact type of fraud happens every day in the US. You were just unfortunate that it happened to you in Mexico. Sorry it happened. Hope all work out well for you.

Natasha beat me to the exchacnge rate thing. Using cash, or even better Pesos, you get a better rate.

Not everyone charges the same exchange rate. I discovered the exchange rate can vary from cabbie to cabbie. Carry Pesos.

Happy Holidays,

TwoBit

Happens here in Canada too, especially now, during the holiday shopping spree. Adice from Police departments is NEVER let the card out of your sight. If they have to take it to a machine to swipe it, go with them to the machine. Many of the organizations (and they are organised), will have 2 machines. One the bank's machine that will process the transaction at hand and one that "copies" your card.
If it's a debit card, they'll have a hidden camera set up, or an accomplice positioned to see your PIN number when you enter it (I cover the pad with my left hand when using a PIN pad).

None of my Credit cards are "connected" to my bank accounts. I'd rather carry 2 cards (1 debit, 1 credit).

Kent

My sister used her credit card in Cozumel to buy a 1000.00 ring. When the bill came she also had a charge on there for 50.00 they called an "Exchange rate" charge.

Bargain and buy in the local currency.

If there's an extra fee charged, complain to the credit card company.

If you use AMEX, and the transactions are in local currency (pesos, etc.), you'll generally get a better rate than if you exchange dollars at a bank, cambio or whatever the money changer is called.

I've travelled to over 40 countries and have been doing it for many years. Carrying currency is an invitation for pickpockets.

I have no personal financial interest in AMEX but...

AMEX, don't leave home without it!

[They've stuffed vendors -- US and overseas -- who've overcharged me.]

I used my credit card with Scuba Du 3 months ago and everything went well.

I always like to use credit card than cash, you get more protection, you don't to pay for anything that is a fraud. The exchange rate with credit card is also the best.

After I get back to home, I always call the credit card company and inquiry any charges not recognized by me. So far everything is fine.

I did have the credit cards stolen in Chicago around lunch hour once. A few thousands dollar charges were already posted even I called the credit cards within 30 minutes of my lunch hour. But I didn't have to pay for any of those charges.

And I also agree that I would never use a card tied to my bank account

to understand the difference in your debit card and your credit card.

Don't use your credit card to make phone calls from Mexico hotels!We went to Cabo San Lucas last year. Stayed at a nice resort. I made two calls to San Diego using my credit card. Sprint PCS cell phones won't work there. One for two minutes to leave a message and a second for about 10 minutes. The bill on my card was $30 for the first call and $90 for the second!!! We eventually got our credit card company to credit it back to us, but it took some arguing.

I've heard to use pre-paid cards - sounds like good advice, but I haven't tried it.

We purchased the smart card calling cards you get in town and called NY from Cozumel for about $1.50. You can get a $5 card at the drug store next to the plaza. The phones are all over the place and work fine.
I don't know if they have them in Cabo, but if you go to Cozumel it's definitely woth it.:wink:

There is a huge difference between debit and credit cards. Debit cards (fake Visa/MC) go right into your bank account and the money is gone...usually forever! Even if it has the Visa or MC logo on it. Plus real credit cards have additional protection that you don't have with the debit (fake Visa) cards. Best practice is to only use debit cards when you can enter your PIN...if the place doesn't let you...use a real credit card instead. The best place to use a debit card is your local grocery store. Use your real credit card for major purchases...so you can dispute them if something goes wrong. I had a charge made on my credit card some years back in Mexico....but this was before I even had a debit card so I disputed the charge and had a fraud alert put on my card.
I love going to Mexico and will go again. Just use common sense. Oh and don't buy a timeshare down there...lookup Sol Caribe, Fraud on the net.
And my favorite dive in Coz is Santa Rosa Wall...flying over the abyss.

The French Quarter is a great place! And Mike is well known for his friendliness.

As for Credit - Pay cash for everything you can, and Charge the rest. Been there a dozen times - no problems yet. I recently had fraud happen to me at home (California) with my ATM card, but never in Mexico - go figure!

Anyway - take cash if you can, lock it up if you can, and charge what you need too.

Have a great time and eat well!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom