Credit card theft in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narc'd1

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, I recently returned from Cozumel (Here's the trip report) and had a great time. Two days ago, I was online checking my accounts and I noticed a $500 charge that I didn't recognize. It was still pending so I kept an eye on it. When it cleared, it was a charge from Monterrey, Mexico. I've never even heard of the place. Then there was another from San Pablo. I emptied the account and called the bank. Someone had stolen my card #, fabricated a card with my number on it and is now on a shopping spree. I say fabricated a card because it shows up to the bank as the card being used (not just the number).
The only places I used the card were:
The Presidente Intercontinental
Scuba Du dive shop
La Mision
That's it, just those three. I didn't lose any money, but what a P.I.T.A.. I was aware of the danger of using the card, but I guess I had the "it won't happen to me" syndrome. I filed a fraud report and it will take up to 90 days to get the money back. You would think with the prices these places charge, they wouldn't have had to steal any more from me than they already had. Or at least they could afford some better employees.
If you're headed to Cozumel, and visit any of these places (or any others for that matter), DON'T USE A CREDIT CARD!!!

Happy diving...

Always pay cash! Always get and keep your receipt. Travellers checks are still the safest way to carry money abroad.

From your post, it sounds like it was a debit card or credit card tied to your bank account. As you are finding out, using one of these can tie up your funds during the sorting out process. I would definitely not use a card tied to my bank account.

This is the advantage of a traditional credit card or charge card (Amex, Diners) Both of these allow you to contest any fraudulent charges and do not impact your available funds. In most instances you can avoid liability for the first $50 of improper charges.

As for using cash, there is an advantage to using a credit card, especially for large purchases of services. If the vendor does not deliver the services, you can dispute the charge. On an international dive vacation, if you give a dive operator cash and they do not complete the dives and offer no refund, then you are basically SOL.

Thanks,

I'm heading down in Jan and appreciate the advice. Anyone else have advice of this sort for travel to Cozumel?

Rich

richhagelin once bubbled...
Thanks,

I'm heading down in Jan and appreciate the advice. Anyone else have advice of this sort for travel to Cozumel?

Rich
Uuuhh, be careful where you drink the water, lest you experience the revenge!:(

I have to disagree; using a credit card is the only way to go! With a credit card you always have the option of disputing the charges, not so with checks or cash.

Although it’s a bit of a hassle, you should not loose anything due to fraud and your money should not be tied up at all. I recently had the information from my debit (master card) purloined. As soon as I reported it to the bank they credited the amount of the fraudulent transactions to my account and they issued me a new card the next business day.

You also should look beyond the places you used the card as possible culprits. It’s just as likely that the information was taken from bank or intercepted between the vendor and the bank.

Mike

Hi Rich,

Just got back from Thanksgiving trip...
We stayed at FA and when we checked in the "Bell Guy" who brought our luggage to our room told us the water was purified , but he suggested we still drink bottled water. Even suggested we but it in town as it was WAY over-priced at hotel.

I figured if HE told us that then HE might know something that the desk clerk didn't want to tell us.

Anyway, we stuck with bottle water and haven't had any trouble..

While there check out The French Quarter Resturant - Mike the ownere is a really good guy and has great food.

Hope you have a great trip.

Todd

unfortunately I have heard of this happening before and it scares me. I never use my credit card in Mexico other then to rent a car because they ask for it and even then I am weary. But because I strictly only use it for the car rental then that is where the problem would be

I always use a credit card when I travel. I lived in Mexico for five years and never had a problem. Last winter I spent 7 weeks in Cozumel and never had a problem. I think you had a problem that could of occured in Chicago or Boston or LA. For you it just happened to occur in Mexico.

adios don O

I have traveled to every state in the US, used my credit card in most, and NEVER had my card # stolen before. I have heard of this happening to other people in Mexico before. They probably prefer to target Americans on vacation. They also didn't use the card until the beginning of the month since they probably thought I wouldn't catch it until the statement arrived the next month. Thank goodness I have internet banking. I caught the unauthorized transaction the day after it happened. The person only had the chance to charge to it twice before it was canceled. I hope they get caught and get what they deserve. These are thieves that are organized. They actually made a duplicate card with my number, that's not just a random act, that takes planning and ability, and has probably been going on for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom