Creative or stupid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
"shoot it up" to the crew
This is our standard procedure under such circumstances.
Rick

Really Rick? Then I am not stupid?? I dreamed it up on my own, but people have been making feel like it would risk life and limb....

have you done it, does it work?

Warren_L:
Though I've not experienced it myself, I've been warned by the manufacturers of the various components I use that are sealed by o-rings that over greasing can cause problems. It is not the silicone that creates the seal - it merely provides some lubrication so the rubber o-ring can slide into it's proper place.

As far as you buddy is concerned, if it were me, I'd probably learn after the first time. 3 cameras (?) can be an expensive lesson.

He was a real goof to say the least, not seen him in 4 years though.

catherine96821:
Really Rick? Then I am not stupid?? I dreamed it up on my own, but people have been making feel like it would risk life and limb....
have you done it, does it work?
Never had to send a camera up myself - but have sent plenty of stuff up other than cameras. Various pieces of gear, finds, fish... works great. We brief to send up cameras if there's any doubt about their condition - I have buddies who have done it and probably saved a camera that way.
Rick

Hey there Catherine.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with shooting a camera on a bag. I've only had a couple of floods, and both were only trickles at depth that were way, way faster when shallow.

If they had spent 10 minutes hanging just under the surface, they would have been done.

If I had a flood while overhead-restricted, I'd just clip it off and make sure I still had the card...and cards will live through anything.

<Okay, I'd probabally hold it dome-down and quietly swear while hanging on deco.>

I'm probabally different here (no surprise, pragmatic me), but when I dive overhead-restricted, a camera is just a disposable accessory - no matter how much the 14mm 2.8 costs. My body is worth too much.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom