Creative or stupid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another old trick was using Alka Seltzer. the theory is that the gas produced will create positive pressure in the housing which may reduce or even stop the water from entering.

gt3073b:
Good point. Some places have an Orange = Non-emergency, Yellow = Emergency policy on DSMBs. Perhaps some color code worked out with the boat captain before hand would be a big help. Green = Goodies?

I would hope you're wrong on this. Seeing as almost all the SMBs you buy are sold primarily in orange. I would hope, regardless, that no matter what SMB I shoot they see if I'm alright. That is unless they know ahead of time that we are doing a drift dive and we are shooting one at the end of the dive so that they can come and pick us up.

I don't really know any people here (out of people I have seen on the boats and that I dive with, that carry two different color SMBs. They all have one or two of the same color.

Chris Bangs:
another old trick was using Alka Seltzer. the theory is that the gas produced will create positive pressure in the housing which may reduce or even stop the water from entering.

So, Chris, does it work? Did you do a recent split of a boat with a whale? was that real?

I'm not sure if I'd want to risk the original idea. If something goes wrong and you lose it then it's completely gone - case and all. Sometimes a flooded camera can be repaired and even if not - you still have a case.
Like others have said as well - boat crews have lives to worry about - I'm not sure how many would feel about gear.

catherine96821:
So, Chris, does it work? Did you do a recent split of a boat with a whale? was that real?

I think I saw the shot you are referring to. It is not mine but I seem to remember the photographer stating that it was a Photoshop job. In reality, when working with whales due to the conditions in the water ( swells, chop, etc ) and not to mention since you are in deep water, you have no way to easily keep the camera in one position getting such an Image would be quite difficult.

catherine96821:
So, Chris, does it work? ?

The seltzer may help in a slow leak situation, but when I flood mine they fill up in seconds!

Chris Bangs:
The seltzer may help in a slow leak situation, but when I flood mine they fill up in seconds!

Chris, thanks. yea, thats what I thought, but it looked so real to me. The guy on the bow was gazing off the other direction though.

are the photog doing the class with Mike V?

Kim:
I'm not sure if I'd want to risk the original idea. If something goes wrong and you lose it then it's completely gone - case and all. Sometimes a flooded camera can be repaired and even if not - you still have a case.
Like others have said as well - boat crews have lives to worry about - I'm not sure how many would feel about gear.

yes, I hear you about commercial. Sometimes I dive with friends who have boats and there is only a few of us. Usually there is no one on the boat anyway.

catherine96821:
Chris, thanks. yea, thats what I thought, but it looked so real to me. The guy on the bow was gazing off the other direction though.

are the photog doing the class with Mike V?

That IS the shot I saw! pure photoshop.

Yes, I am helping him with the class in Yap this July. I will be covering Macro and Microphotography Are you going to be there?

Chris

Oh, I thought i saw your name. I have heard great things about you. No, I am going to Bali. I just came back from Palau (again).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom