Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with you concerning NCLB, but in this case (and maybe only in this case) the definitions are useful. I would really like to see a standard in place in all districts that requires all science teachers (at least) to complete an accredited college level course in evolutionary biology.

I think this thread has proven one point VERY clearly and that is the fact that the believers in God and the most non-believers have different views on the questions about evolution and creation.

Exactly, Theunis....it actually proves two points in my oppinion, and as I read from your quote:

1. A christain discounting the beliefs of an atheist that there is no God is like the christain discounting his own strong beliefs that there is a God.

2. An atheist discounting the beliefs of a christain that there is a God is like the atheist discounting his own strong beliefs that there is no God.

So presenting creationism in the classroom with equal time might threaten evolution? But I thought evolution was indisputable.

Well, it won't threaten evolution.

However, we have a budget!!!!!!

Hard enough trying to teach kids geometry and trig while getting them to pass their state competancy tests. And yet, you want to make public scools parochial?

We don't teach atheism in class, so we sure ain't gonna allow christainity to be taught in class in a public school.

Nice try though.

Creationism should not be taught in a science class because it's not science. In a comparative studies class that's another matter. Christian creationism vs. other belief systems creationism vs. science.

I also don't think other non-science subjects should be taught in science class either. Like economics shouldn't be taught in biology class.

Creationism should not be taught in a science class because it's not science.

exactly

I just jumped to the last of this and don't want to get into the muddle of things, but I have never seen the real conflict between Creationism and Evolution. Maybe it is just because I have created a lot of things in my life, and their creation has been an process of evolution. (Hey, if at first you don't succeed.....)

Exactly, Theunis....it actually proves two points in my oppinion, and as I read from your quote:

1. A christain discounting the beliefs of an atheist that there is no God is like the christain discounting his own strong beliefs that there is a God.

2. An atheist discounting the beliefs of a christain that there is a God is like the atheist discounting his own strong beliefs that there is no God.
With all due respect, you're falling into exactly the trap that the religionists want you to. It's not a question of religion vs. atheism as two competing belief systems. What the religionists want most is to define their crapola as science, thus ID and to define a "religion" of secular humanism / atheism that they can be in conflict with and they can have excluded (along with such secular humanistic beliefs as evolution) in much the way that they have been excluded by the courts. You play right into their hands. The Georgia courts slapped them down for this approach, as did the Kansas courts and the Delaware courts ... don't you go crediting them.
I just jumped to the last of this and don't want to get into the muddle of things, but I have never seen the real conflict between Creationism and Evolution. Maybe it is just because I have created a lot of things in my life, and their creation has been an process of evolution. (Hey, if at first you don't succeed.....)
Just where is it that you've been hiding since before 13 March 1925?

You know......

I can't help being completely relieved that the only place that this stuff might actually find it's way into the classroom is in the US. (not that I don't sympathize)

At least I don't have to worry about anything like it for my own kids......

Who knows, but in the meantime keep this creationist nonsense out of the science classroom, thanks.

Does it mean that scientists like Dr. Gentry and Dr. Veith, with different views on the theory of evolution, are not scientists anymore? They have done studies on the subject as well, can't their voices be heard, or should only the scientists supporting the evolution theory be heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom