Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's enough dark matter in the universe so that it will contract upon itself into a big implossion

which may be followed by another Big Bang

(if there weren't enough dark matter, the universe would continue to expand until its energy would run out and it would slowly reach a zero level of energy (i.e. it would
"freeze to death")

there are a few other theories, but i think these two are the main ones

Well, we've made 50 pages without any significant snarkiness, perhaps Biscut is right ... good night.

MikeFerrara:
I wanted to address this seperately and I tried yesterday but I haven't been able to log onto the the board.

I don't believe that's what he said but it's easier to discuss if you provide a chapter and verse.

Matthew 16:27-28

For the Son of Man is to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will give everyone his due reward.

Truly I tell you: there are some of those standing here who will not taste death before they have seen the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.

Green_Manelishi:
A virgin can have a baby. Invitro (?) fertilization makes in possible for a virgin to have a baby.

yeah, i'm sure that's how Mary did it

:wink:

H2Andy:
there's enough dark matter in the universe so that it will contract upon itself into a big implossion

which may be followed by another Big Bang

(if there weren't enough dark matter, the universe would continue to expand until its energy would run out and it would slowly reach a zero level of energy (i.e. it would
"freeze to death")

there are a few other theories, but i think these two are the main ones

last I heard though experimental results on the expansion of the universe and the cosmological constant were suggesting the universe was infinite and open ("saddle" shaped manifold) and would expand forever. those observations would also inherantly include whatever dark matter was in the universe...

H2Andy:
Matthew 16:27-28

For the Son of Man is to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will give everyone his due reward.

Truly I tell you: there are some of those standing here who will not taste death before they have seen the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.

:wink:

First of all note the parellel with Mark 8:38–9:1 and Luke 9:26–27. Notice also, the context in all three cases. Earlier in Matthew 16, Mark 8 and Luke 9 Jesus had just explained to them that He was to go to Jerusalem and suffer. In each case the account of the transfiguration immediately follows. Also notice that He has not yet discussed the end times with them as He does in Matthew 24 and Luke 21. It was a specific promise made directly to some of the disciples standing there rather than to a city, nation, or generation. The "some standing here" refers to Peter, James and John and "seeing the Son of man coming in His kingdom" refers to the transfiguration. This is confirmed by 2 Peter 1:16-18 where the transfiguration is said to be "the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

2 Peter 1:16–18
"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount."

I have read many times where "skeptics" take these verses out of context and associate them with the end times but I think that's a mistake. The scriptures concerning the end times are, of course, another discussion.

wardric:
oh, thanks, I tought it was Charlton Heston :wink:

Originally Posted by MikeFerrara

Mathew and John knew Jesus and were eye witnesses.

Were you? I was not. Call me Thomas if you want, I personnaly need more than that.

Of course I wasn't there but seeing isn't even enough to make people believe. Jesus said in John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day."
As for the snake being so evil as told in the Bible, how come the mayans were worshipping it? because they were the Devil's followers? humm.... I dont think so. God loves everyone of his children.

It's not snakes that are evil but Satan. BTW, Genesis 3:15 "And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise your head and you shall bruise His heel." is the first Old Testament reference to Christ that I am aware of.

God does love everyone which is why He provided such a perfect plan for salvation...which doesn't include the worship of snakes.

Sorry to butt in here Mike, but he Maya supreme god was Kukulcan, to whom the Maya attributed many functions. He was a creator god and the god of resurrection and reincarnation. The name Kukulcan is translated as feathered serpent. Not that he was a feathered srepent, he was just sometimes represented that way. In the absence of a formal written language, the Mayans needed something to represent their god. They chose a feathered serpent as his avatar. They did not worship snakes or think that their god was a snake

OTOH, I am sure that if I was in fact to see a feathered serpent, I also would say "Oh my God!!"

photohikedive:
ok, you do not believe that ooz can come to life on it's own, but you believe that there is a god. where did god come from?

I might answer that question with another question. Where did all the stuff the universe if made of come from? Doesn't it have a begining?

Whether it's God or the universe can we really comprehend anything that's infinate or always?

Thanks Mark, I should have said: worshipped the image of a snake. That is what I meant. But nonetheless, so many mayans were killed by europeen conquerors because of a litteral interpretation of the bible. They pray to the image of a serpent = they worship the devil. Maybe the spanish didn't have the same bible as you Mike. :wink:

I'm outta here now, this discussion will never end :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom