Creating rock salt in a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the BCD is leaking, you should not get any salt crystals. The formation of crystals from seawater requires evaporation.

But the bottle cap is a real puzzle.

I was wondering the same thing! :rofl3:

I've seen rock salt as well in BC's. If you think about it, a little salt water is added each time you dive, if you store the BC inflated, then this should allow the water to evaporate leaving salt residue. If you only add a little more salt water each time and never drain completely, the crystals will not dissolve and it is easy to see how this can accululate.

I generally try to run a quart or two of freshwater into the BC after every dive trip, and then drain it out the inflator and deflator mechanism. A brine solution can be very corrosive to the inflator and rock salt can cut the bladder and cause problems. If I am not sure if it is rinsed well enough, I taste the water comming out, If it is salty, then it gets another quick rinse. It takes only a minute or so to rinse the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom