Creating a USB charging cord for a SOLA 1200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmperry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
When I travel its nice to just carry one or two USB charging wall-warts and the cables for each specific device. Just got a new Light & Motion Sola 1200 dive light and was hoping to ditch the separate power plug. Has anybody done the necessary surgery to use the 5v and ground in a USB cable and the tail end of the supplied charger to make a USB-to-sola-charger cable? It wouldn't charge as quickly, but would sure be handy.

I might try this after I get back from this next trip and can get a spare charger to experiment with.

hmmmmmmmm, very interesting concept.

but, then you're either having a wall wart USB charger, like for a cell phone or GoPro Camera, or charging off a laptop......

Me thinks this would be a great question to pose to Lights and Motion Engineers.

I already carry a USB wall wart and it is much smaller than the current charger for the sola. Carrying one charger and 3-4 cables is better for me - like to travel as light as possible, which is one of the reasons I bought a sola to begin with. I will follow up if I get a cable made, whether I blow up the light or not. :)

wmperry, we do not recommend this. The Sola's charger is not just a power supply, it is a smart charger designed to regulate the charging of the Sola's internal Li-on battery. Feeding unregulated output into the charge contacts without the correct smart circuit could cause serious damage to the light and/or a hazard to the user, neither of which would be covered under any warranty or guarantee. Any charging of the Sola should go through the AC charger that comes standard with the light.

Back
Top Bottom