Cream Soda Physics & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
True the air is not in contact with the water under the ice...but in very cold conditions (-25 F) the temperature of the ice goes well below 32F also. So wouldn't the very cold ice start freezing the water underneath as it comes into contact with it?
Yes ... but the colder water has already moved to the top as it's density decreased once it started getting colder than 39 F. But this doesn't change your point which is correct.

DepartureDiver:
they don't ... the deepest water is warmer. The densest water is 39 F and as it gets colder it's density decreases ... so the colder water and 32 F water is at the surface.

Yes, that was a dumb question and I edited it about 1/2 minute after I posted it.
But the ice temperature thing...ice isn't just 32 F, correct? Our freezers here in the processing plant are at -32 F. The ice in there has to be the same temp, so any water that comes in contact with ice that cold will quickly freeze. Isn't this how ice over a lake becomes thicker?

Hank49:
Yes, that was a dumb question and I edited it about 1/2 minute after I posted it.
lol ... and I saw that and edited my response ... I can't keep up with the posts ... maybe I should get a life.

DepartureDiver:
good points and physics in your post ... but in this situation, a supercooled liquid's temperature is already below freezing, so it is not the temperature drop that does it ... it was the seeding from the nuclei (in this gas the CO2 coming out of solution).

Not that I don't think that supercooling isn't super-cool, but how did the cream soda already get colder than freezing? What kind of freezer is it Rick?

Scubakevdm:
Not that I don't think that supercooling isn't super-cool, but how did the cream soda already get colder than freezing? What kind of freezer is it Rick?
Magic freezer :wink:

In summary - The bottle wasnt in long enough for it to freeze, however the cooling of the liquid from the expansion of the gas dropped the temperature below freezing and the bubbles formed from the gas expanding and escaping provided a nucleation point for the liquid to crystalise around. These were the reasons behind the freezing of the previously pressurised liquid. (A lot shorter than reading the scientific ramble link :wink: )

One thing that should be pointed out..

The temperature of water is a measure of how much heat [kinetic] energy contained in it. When water freezes, it cools down to the freezing temperature. Before it freezes, there is still a fair bit of energy it has to give up between the two states. So you can cool water right down to the freezing point without anything actually freezing.. but if you have some water vapor there at the same temperature.. then suddenly remove *just a little bit* more energy by releasing some pressure, that water and/or water vapor that's at the freezing temperature can give up just that little bit extra necessary to become solid.. without necessarily dropping in temperature at all.

Beer. I like that idea, Mark. Cold beer. Can we do this with beer instead? Cause that would be good.

You are all geeks. I like that in a person. :)

simbrooks:
Magic freezer :wink:

In summary - The bottle wasnt in long enough for it to freeze, however the cooling of the liquid from the expansion of the gas dropped the temperature below freezing and the bubbles formed from the gas expanding and escaping provided a nucleation point for the liquid to crystalise around. These were the reasons behind the freezing of the previously pressurised liquid. (A lot shorter than reading the scientific ramble link :wink: )
I enjoyed Kevin's argument and the "scientific ramble" link.
I love ScubaBoard! The VARIETY!!!
Latent heat.

Tom

It's not very common but you can leave a bucket of water out side at night in the fall. When you go to pick it up in the morning it will instantly freeze into a block. The water is all ready below freezing. Any agitation will start a chain reaction of ice crystals forming. We did study this in physics as it relates to the age old question-Which freezes first hot water or cold water, Anyone?

Rick

Rick_G:
Which freezes first hot water or cold water, Anyone?

Rick
Depends on whether the container is open or closed. Hot water will tend to vaporize a large portion of its volume, thus allowing it to ultimately cool and freeze faster. Put both in a bottle and the cold water will freeze first.

I'd like to try that bucket trick. Sounds a lot like the microwaving water issue. Microwave some water in a nice smooth glass for a few minutes and the water itself can get to a temperature significantly above the boiling point.. all you need to do is grab it or drop your tea bag in it to make it boil violently [read: explode]. Kinda neat to see.

Back
Top Bottom