Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there's anything I've learned over the past few months, it's that caveats abound in even the most promising configurations. The GoPro's fuzzy underwater despite a 180' housing rating, the Flip requires $300 in accessories and lenses to get anywhere near wide...that's what we get for trying to do video on the cheap, right? :)

Sadly you are right. Considering I don't see myself adding any extras to this unit (if I get into video I'll bite the bullet and shell out the cash for a proper unit) I think I like the idea of a larger field of view (GoPro) over better quality (Flip). Though I don't leave for my dive holiday for 4 more weeks so I still have time to flip-flop!

Ultimate Pocket Camcorder Comparison - Pocket camcorder battlemodo - Gizmodo

Comparison and sample videos from seven pocket camcorders, including the Flips, Kodak Zi8 and Picsio. Surprisingly, they hated the Picsio, even giving it a little skull and crossbones badge next for low-light mode, which IMO is super-important for underwater shooting.

All right guys, let's all spring the extra $100 and just get a Canon SD980IS (until we find out what fatal flaw befalls that :wink: )

The Canon doesn't shoot raw photos. The CHDK project is working on it though:

SD980IS - CHDK Wiki

The Canon doesn't shoot raw photos. The CHDK project is working on it though:

SD980IS - CHDK Wiki

SD980IS is a simple point and shoot, and doesn't offer manual controls. However, you wanted a more capable point and shoot for photography, there's the S90 or G10/G11.

Ultimate Pocket Camcorder Comparison - Pocket camcorder battlemodo - Gizmodo

Comparison and sample videos from seven pocket camcorders, including the Flips, Kodak Zi8 and Picsio. Surprisingly, they hated the Picsio, even giving it a little skull and crossbones badge next for low-light mode, which IMO is super-important for underwater shooting.

All right guys, let's all spring the extra $100 and just get a Canon SD980IS (until we find out what fatal flaw befalls that :wink: )

Wow, they hated the Picsio!

As for the Canon SD980IS, it's going to Mexico tomorrow. Should have some cave video on Thursday!

Don't know if my poor laptop can process the video, but if it does, I'll post something.

The Canon doesn't shoot raw photos.

To that I say: I gave up on RAW on my DSLR; finding it lacking on a P&S with a 1/2.3" sensor isn't keeping me up at night! :)

In the end, I'm really looking for video, there's about a snowball's chance in heck that I'd ever get a set of external strobes.

SD980IS is a simple point and shoot, and doesn't offer manual controls. However, you wanted a more capable point and shoot for photography, there's the S90 or G10/G11.

True. Unfortunately, the S90/G11 only shoot VGA-resolution video, although with great low-light sensitivity and at a very high bitrate!

As for any video-related disadvantages of the 980IS, I'd say maybe to never zoom the sucker. 24mm is fantastically wide for a native lens, and that's the only range you can have f/2.8.

Raw is incredibly useful! It gives you more headroom for adjusting exposure and makes color temperature a snap. I always shoot raw underwater. On my DSLR for land, I shoot raw + jpeg so I can rescue a marginal picture more easily if needed.

If the S90 had HD video, it would be my next scuba camera. I am holding out for a compact camera that "does it all:" Wide angle wet mount lens, HD video, manual controls, and raw stills. So far they all come up short in one way or another.

If the S90 had HD video, it would be my next scuba camera. I am holding out for a compact camera that "does it all:" Wide angle wet mount lens, HD video, manual controls, and raw stills. So far they all come up short in one way or another.

Yep, that's the holy grail for me too.

But a trip beckoned. Pretty sure the SD980 will keep me happy for at least a year. And by then, we should have some really interesting options.

3 months after I got my Canon XSi, the T1i came out.

Well, thanks for getting the SD980 and guaranteeing something better will come out soon. I appreciate it. :)

So ordered the GoPro with a 32gb SD card from Amazon - they're now shipping. Off to Thailand over x-mas so will post some videos when i can...

one question: this is my first experience with video - so which setting is best to record under? The descriptions given are:

1080p: 1920x1080 True HD featuring a 127° angle of view, 30 fps and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
960p: 1280x960 Ultra Wide and Tall HD featuring a 170° angle of view, 30 fps and 4:3 aspect ratio. See more of the action above and below than widescreen16:9 resolutions can show.
720p: 1280x720 Ultra Wide HD featuring a 170° angle of view, both 30 and 60 fps and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio

My hunch is 960p is probably best since what i really want is the wide screen to see as much as possible...

bg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom