Crater Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do they still allowing diving at crater Lake? Has anyone been?

HERE and HERE are two reports from this year of diving in the crater.

Where are some fill stations nearby?

I freedove there years ago. What a pain to carry weight belts and gear all the way to the water. The visibility was very good and the fish were scarce and skitish, but it was a cool thing to do. I think vis was like 75 ft or maybe a little more

So that would be a YES to "can you still dive there?"
The answer would be yes. As for air close by,? The closest air would probably be ESD, or I believe Kfalls still has a shop. If you were headed traveling around the Redmond Oregon way, I'd gladly hook you up with some air. But noticing you are from Salem you could get it from Blake and pack it with you. As far as has anyone?
Been there done that!!! Not sure I'd do it again, it's a beautiful dive, but all the work to do it? Not sure it's all worth it. Maybe once to say you did it, but twice, are you kidding me. Some have used sherpa's, but as far as that goes, you really need to pack all your gear to honestly say you've done it. Also, your buoyancy has to be spot on, considering there is practically NO bottom, and if you have an issue at that altitude, that depth, and that far from anywhere, KYAG!! ( kiss your @$$ goodbye) Wouldn't be a fun trip back to the car, let alone the chamber, that is if you were able to make it there. Not trying to discourage anyone, just make sure you have the experience and knowledge. Like I always say " ALWAYS DIVE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS, THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!" It is an 8000' dive by PADI standards, so calculate that. The other thing is, you should be in great physical shape considering the 1.1 mile hike falls 700' +/- in elevation, and is not for the weak hearted.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom