Crater lake, Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone here dive Crater Lake in south central Oregon? I'm looking ahead to travel there next summer to do some recreational/vintage diving and am wondering if there are any particular sites or features to aim for. I know about the vis and depth etc... but I'm looking for info more along the lines of subjective opinions as to which areas are better than the others.
I'm hoping to share my plans with my dive club to get a few of them along and perhaps it might work to get a little PNW vintage meet and greet going too. At last I know I'm going :cool2:

I dove a lot of lakes in Central Oregon, but the hike into Crater Lake put me off. If you are driving check out Lake Paulina which is located within the caldera of Newberry Volcano at 6350'. There is a campground near the water and has easy access for diving. Nice place for tuneup dives with great vis.
Paulina Lake Panorama

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

There's really only one way to access the lake, at the Cleetwood trail on the north rim. You can dive near the dock there, or take a boat to one of the islands. I'd do the hike -- but with the knowledge that it would be arduous hauling scuba gear. (Maybe take a wagon?)

Consult with the rangers first. They'll probably tell you that you must have a buddy.

You might PM *dave* -- I know he has dived there in the past. I have a vague memory that a permit is required, but I could be wrong.

Dale,

Oregon Public Broadcasting has a program called "Oregon Field Guide." Recently they ran this video of diving in Crater Lake. It will answer many of your questions:

Oregon Field Guide — Diving Crater Lake · Oregon Public Broadcasting

[video]http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1771[/video]

I have dived Oregon for many, many years and never dived Crater Lake. I would love to do so while I still can. Lets think about it this winter, and I think we could get a vintage dive going that would be startlingly wonderful.

SeaRat

Sometimes i hate the internet...i would have never had this idea until now! This is on my MUST list

From Scuba Diving at Crater Lake National Park

Lake Access - Crater Lake is accessible for diving only by hiking the Cleetwood Trail, located on the north side of Crater Lake. The Cleetwood Trail is 1.1 miles in length and descends 700 feet to the lake surface. You must be able to carry all your equipment up and down the trail. Wheeled vehicles are prohibited. Restrooms are available at the top and bottom of the Cleetwood Trail but there are no food or drinking water facilities.

My color highlight.

Keep the plans on the board, Lord knows I have done more idiotic things.

Bob
-------------------------
Scuba Diving at Crater Lake National Park

I freedove the lake. Very clear.

Haven't done this personally - also on my "bucket list" - but I have a hazy memory of a LDS that could set you up with a "sherpa"..?

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom