Crack bottles and such....wtf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Smith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Why is it I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding a retailer to sell me a CO2 powered DSMB? I can find some limited info from the UK but nothing from North America, are they illegal?

I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on this.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious as to why you want it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious as to why you want it.

I already have an AP DSMB that's powered by a crack bottle, the bottle is getting old and should be replaced, I'd like to replace it with a CO2 powered one.

Got it. I haven't seen a CO2 powered anything since BCs came with them back the late 80s. I doubt if their illegal, it seems more likely that just almost no one makes them.

Got it. I haven't seen a CO2 powered anything since BCs came with them back the late 80s. I doubt if their illegal, it seems more likely that just almost no one makes them.

Unfortunately it would seem that way.

I suspect that demand is too low to support production, distribution and marketing.

Time to build one yourself. Shouldn't be that hard to get a CO2 cartridge detonator and attach it to an DSMB inflator hose.

I suspect that demand is too low to support production, distribution and marketing.

Time to build one yourself. Shouldn't be that hard to get a CO2 cartridge detonator and attach it to an DSMB inflator hose.

I did think about this. It would have to be able to withstand salt water. Do you have knowledge of such a thing?

A lot of the old BCDs had them. You might be able to cannibalize an old BCD if you talk to your local dive shop. The older the shop the better chance of them having one somewhere in an old storeroom.

You can find old BCDs on EBay, but you won't know what the cartridge detonator connection looks like and how easy it would be to convert until you have it in hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom