Crabbing season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
EDIT: joke was probably highly inappropriet....
anyways, I hear it's quickly approaching. Anyone partake in this? I love crab, and thought it would be fun, but have never done it. Being the responsible future marine biologist I am, I do test predator evasion techniques at the end of dives while killing time in the shallows, but it would be fun to do some at-home "lab work"....in my kitchen. :D
SO! Anyone up for showing me the ropes? What do I need in gear? what are the rules?

K's link is what I use, too. From memory I think the season starts (in specific areas) on July 26th.

Most gatherers have their own spots and techniques. I'm sure I'll be diving to harvest on opening day. I'll let you know the details if you're interested.

Dave

Kwbyron:
EDIT: joke was probably highly inappropriet....
anyways, I hear it's quickly approaching. Anyone partake in this? I love crab, and thought it would be fun, but have never done it. Being the responsible future marine biologist I am, I do test predator evasion techniques at the end of dives while killing time in the shallows, but it would be fun to do some at-home "lab work"....in my kitchen. :D
SO! Anyone up for showing me the ropes? What do I need in gear? what are the rules?

Wear gloves. :wink:

and having a small light is handy not only for finding the crabs but also for pinning them down on their backs while you get the gender.

If you really want a chuckle some time you should contact Lightingfish and get up to Vancouver to go crabbing with him and another a buddy of mine. Watching them at work is hilarious.

I don't know what the rules are around where you live. You'll have to check that out. In BC it's 4 crabs per person with the proper licence. Only males 16cm or larger across the widest part of the shell.

R..

The one and only time I went crabbing on scuba, I re-named the activity: Crab rodeo!

I'm talking, of course, about dungeness crab in Puget Sound. My mask kept flooding because I was laughing so hard.

So, if you grab them from behind, they can't reach you with the pinchers?

Chase 'em down, put your hand on them and then pick them up from behind to see the sex...be careful of course...another thing is to put your fisted gloved hand across their back while they are pinned to guess the legal size....if they come close they might be a keeper...don't take 'em up if it's questionable...
I can't wait to get me some dungee...and if I read it correctly, I will be out opening day, July 1st...
Woo Hoo!!! Crab Rodeo here I come. Of course, the limits are too large for me to consume, I usually just take what I can eat...
Lets go!
Kirsten

I like to snorkel and get em. A small trout dip net is handy to just scoop em up and the check em out. A good minus tide helps. And don't forget a few small flounder to go with the crab.

I'm looking for a buddy to show me the crabbin ropes this Saturday in Mukilteo. Tides are a bad for a night dive but there is a low slack about 3:30.
Drop me a line.
Rex

Doing Muk on Sunday @ 0630, (if we can see anything!).

Back
Top Bottom