Crabbing in Puget Sound with SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't call it crabbing. I call it the Dungeness Rodeo Roundup!

Get a old fishing net or long dip net and go get um. The type of fishing net ive been thinking about getting, is one that has the coating over the netting so it the crab doesn't get all tangled up. Also if you can get a 'tickle-stick' like the one's used for lobstering that sometimes helps to round them up into the net.

New
I know this is a old post, I'm a beginner diver, In several months I'm about to dive for some crab down in Mukilteo when the season opens up. I'm wondering on what gear type you need for crabbing, and cost of gear, so not to overbuy.

Haven't done any crabbing myself but occasionally dive with people who do down in Oregon.

Only gear you really need is a catch bag and a way to measure the crab (min size for dungies in WA is 6 1/4"); never seen them dive with anything more than that.

Also make sure to read and follow the rules/regs as they can always be fun to interpret...

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/brochure_sport_harvest_final.pdf

New
I know this is a old post, I'm a beginner diver, In several months I'm about to dive for some crab down in Mukilteo when the season opens up. I'm wondering on what gear type you need for crabbing, and cost of gear, so not to overbuy.

You need a shellfish license with crab endorsement and if crabbing on SCUBA you will need your dive gear...I recommend gloves as those claws can cause a nasty cut and they tend to get me around the finger nails. You will need a gauge to measure them with...walmart or any place that sells fishing supplies will have this, and then a bag to put the keepers in...a bucket to transfer them into back at the car/truck is convenient. You can also take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and drill holes in the side and sink it and just swim to that to stick the keepers in instead of a net.

Don't poach from crab pots, this just fosters bad blood with the recreational and professional fishermen.

A good place to go is oak harbor near the NAS Whidbey Island Seaplane base...the MWR marina closed down years ago and with it went the boats and means for lots of folks to get out and drop their crab pots...I haven't lived out there in awhile but I imagine the crabbing is better than when I did live there.

Happy hunting.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom