CPAP - Distilled Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option to consider is when using water that is not distilled is to take the humidifier apart during the day (I assume you are using at night), and wipe it down and let it dry out during the day. Also they make a small filter called an HME which can attach to your CPAP machine. These will add humidity and are quite good. Good luck.

Oops, I forgot to share this. My CPAP is an ICON. I spent my first night at Casa Mexicanan. It was a nice place, but... for some reason, the CPAP machine did not like the electricity. I know that sounds strange, but it would not work. I tried multiple plugs, and verified the electricity was on using other devices. I had to run from the internal 'airplane' battery that night. I was very worried because I thought the machine was broken, and I really need it! The remainder of my trip was spent at Scuba Club Cozumel, and the machine worked fine as soon as it was plugged in.

Strange.

Tell that to my tea kettle. Ever have to de-scale a kettle or coffeemaker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

"Boiling, which promotes the formation of carbonate from the bicarbonate, will precipitate calcium carbonate out of solution, leaving water that is less hard on cooling."

I see what you mean about my original statement, though. I said "precipitate out minerals." I suppose that's not accurate.
The deposits in the kettle are from the water that has evaporated but nothing to with the mineral content of the water remaining in the kettle which will be the same.

The deposits in the kettle are from the water that has evaporated but nothing to with the mineral content of the water remaining in the kettle which will be the same.

Maybe, but your statement directly contradicts the quote from Wikipedia and what has long been my understanding (as a person with no background in chemistry). Doesn't the Wikipedia entry say that the calcium carbonate forms from the bicarbonate in the water and precipitates out as that white deposit in the kettle? If that's correct, then the white stuff is not present in the water before boiling and therefore not left behind when the water evaporates. Rather, it forms as a result of the boiling--a chemical process involving turning the bicarbonate into calcium carbonate. Incorrect?

No, he is right and I stand corrected. As far as physical reactions I was correct (heating water makes dissolved solids in more soluble, not less) but what he is speaking of is a chemical reaction which is accelerated by heating that results in calcium carbonate precipitating out of solution. This only happens if the water is "hard" to begin with.

Sorry, I meant to post this earlier.

On another note and for future consideration I will add this. My CPAP improved my sleep but not sufficiently enough to endure the mask. I have since gone to an oral appliance. The clinic told me I was in severe apnea range and that appliance work best/ only for slight to moderate. Long story longer, the mouth piece is portable, will work anywhere in the world and can be found at the dentist office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom