Cozumel’s drift diving is so “rushed” for underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry Dogbowl but your topic sounded just about right for my question:
Tips for underwater photography during a drift dive? I find u photography challenging enough anyway but at a location like Cozumel where the current means constant motion 95% of the dive how does one compose an image? Obviously I don't want to grab or even touch the reef so I generally just to try compose the image on the "fly" and capture it as I go by but that usually means one or maybe two shots before I am out of position. Any tips, tricks or advice appreciated.
3701-.jpg

Drop down on the side of the reef opposite the current. You'd be surprised at how much it drops off when you do that.

I like the shot!

Agree with caruso...drop down over the side of the reef and use it to protect you from the current. Using this you just use minor energy and kick into the current to really stabilize your self.

This probably won't be of much help to you, but years ago, when I had divers or students with cameras, I would sometimes grab their tank valve to help stabilize them so they could get their shot. In Cozumel's often stiff currents, sometimes there is no foolproof or consistent method of beating it, especially given that strong currents also usually mean sand and other particles in the water, which result in backscatter from the flash.
During my photography phase, if i wasn't otherwise obligated, I used to prefer going out on our afternoon trips, and then often only do the 2nd dive. The afternoon trip usually had better light than the early morning trips, and there tended to be fewer boats/divers on the reefs, getting in your way, kicking up sand, startling the fish, etc.
And, I liked the 2nd dive better, partially because it would be shallower (better light), which for me, seemed to make for better pics, and , for taking pics, I generally liked those 2nd-tank locations better than the first ones, ( particularly Tormentos, Yucab, Paradise), plus, a tank of air lasted longer on the shallower dives, which was handy since i would often be covering a lot of ground, looking for better angles, and waiting for a better shot to materialize, etc.
Sorry for the ramble ! :D

In my opinion, the key is pre-visualizing your shots. For example, which direction will you be facing and at which angle? Knowing this will allow you to expose for ambient light. Which composition style are you shooting (wide reef, close focus, etc)? Knowing this will allow you to pre-position your strobes and set their intensity, plus adjust aperture and focal point as needed.

With all this in mind you can spot your subject and be ready for those 1-2 frames even before you get close. Hope that helps!

Certainly dropping down on the lee side of a reef or coral head helps immensely, but it also means you will miss much of the good stuff. As an underwater videographer, I've never had any real desire to dive Coxumel for this reason.

Some of the sites there weren't too bad with current and had decent swim throughs. Some were hauling, but just on the top of the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom