Cozumel Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had any experience diving the wreck on the east side of Cozumel (ocean exposure)? I read that it's suspected to be a Spanish galleon and that about a dozen cannons, ballast stones, and a number of cannonballs were exposed by the effects of Hurricane Wilma. Anyone have info about operators that take divers to this site?

I heard about this and wonder the same thing... somebody *has* to know something! Anybody, info please! I'd love to make another Coz trip and this would definitely help further excite my habit (diving)...

I believe that Aldora will take you out there. I asked them about it last year but never did that dive. The launch a panga from Chen Rio and scoot down the coast. I believe it's dangerous enough out there that they have a second boat as a backup on site :)

I wanted to take my metal detector out and scoop up the dabloons, but they didn't seem to like the idea.

That is funny about the doubloons! But I'm with ya... I'd just like to dive a site of an older wreck like that. Is it the waves or current that makes it dangerous? I tried to snorkel on that side of Coz a few years back, the waves are brutal and I never saw even the bottom it was so chopped up. So, joined my girlfriend on the isolated beach and saved the diving/snorkeling for the mainland side!

Here's a video I found about the Coz wreck. Very informative and it just makes me more determined than ever to get out there and see it! Click on "Videos", then "Cozumel", then the video "East Side Gold"

ScubaDiving.com - Scuba TV

That is AWESOME, thank you. I had to go to the site, click on Travel, then Cozumel and then got the "East Side Gold". This is cool, I want to dive the east side anyway now!

My brother and I are going to CZM on the 14 of October for another dive with Aldora Divers. We have told them we want to dive the "other side" of the Island, if for nothing else just to take pictures. Will let you know about the trip when we get back on the 18th...

Did not get to dive the other side....to rough according to Aldora...and only two of us wanted to do it...need at least 4...am going to try and dive it next time we go down in either January 2008 or later....gotta look for those gold ballons..

Back
Top Bottom