Cozumel what to expect now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who can really say? I personally think the reef is healthier than 10 years ago. That could be contributed to no major hurricanes. For sure giving areas a rest can’t hurt.

Who can really say? I personally think the reef is healthier than 10 years ago. That could be contributed to no major hurricanes. For sure giving areas a rest can’t hurt.
I am skeptical. Closing some reefs puts more traffic on others, and when they reopen it happens there. The total number of divers over a year's time on a particular reef will not change.

Observation by a single tourist does not amount to much of anything. I presume that all of this being monitored by a group of scientists that will present evidence of effectiveness against SCTLD.

Next time you are diving here get close to the sponges and take a look at how healthy they are, you will be surprised at what you see.

Hopefully. Things seem improved to me in September from March this year, but that's pretty anecdotal.
I've been twice this year. Still not much in the way of renewed Brain Corals. I'm hoping...

IMO it's all pretty judgemental - how does a diver effect a spawning sponge?? Anchor 20' away from me in El Cielo can effect spawning but I don't think the sponge cares.....

During high season, the added pressure on the other reefs.... It's all foolish wishful thinking

How about 1.5 years without cruise ships?

How about 1.5 years without cruise ships?

A cruise ship in port at Cozumel effects a reef how? The water delivery truck belching black smoke I just followed back from the marina has more effect.

Directional current flow and cruise ship traffic................

A cruise ship in port at Cozumel effects a reef how? The water delivery truck belching black smoke I just followed back from the marina has more effect.

Directional current flow and cruise ship traffic................

Not sure, but I was able to do about a dozen dives before the cruise ships started to roll back in, and I noticed a really nice reef recovery….

Huge coincidence maybe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom