Cozumel Water tmp late Mar/early Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I've been lurking around this board for awhile now, learning something new everyday! We will be heading to Cozumel with the family on March 29 for 11 days, and if our open water dives go well this coming weekend, we'll be newly certified when we get there.

We are in the process of getting wetsuits and would appreciate any info anyone has regarding the water temp at the end of March/early April. This will help us in determing which wetsuits to get. We are evaluating whether to buy Microprene suits, and then use some 2mm shorties that we have over the top of that versus just buying some 3mm suits.

Thanks for any help offered!

Paul

According to my logbook....Coz water temps that time of year is usually 80-82º.

I was there last year last week of April.
Water temp was 82.
I dow with a 3mm shorty ( didn't need it) water was plenty warm enough. keep in mind some people get colder then others in same temperature of water.
I reccomend a full lycra suit. The pupose of the lycra suit is to prevent stings. Some times you may have thimble jelly fish (very small) that can be a nuisance. Lycra suit is a great protector.

we dove the 1st week of May (temp 80 +) in lycra skins. but, by the end of the week I was wearing polartec skins. I was nice & warm all week.
Kim

My wife and I just returned today from Cozumel. According to my primary and backup computers, the water was 79 degrees everywhere. According to my wife's computer, it was 81. I started out with an expedition weight suit, but got a little chilly after a couple of dives. I switched to a 3 mil and was fine after that. But I tend to get cold easily. Others in our group dove with dive skins the whole time and were fine.

MAW001 -

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. We'll carry the Microprene and a 3mm shorty to be safe. I hope you had a great time!

Paul

Paul:

Hope you guys have fun. We had a great time, and it was our OW Cert trip as well. If you are looking for a nice, relaxed dive site with plenty of bottom time and freedom to move around easily (i.e., no current), I highly recommend Chankanaab Park (30-40 ft., good vis, lots of fish). Dive safe.

Mark

Paul-

You and your family will love Coz. The only bad thing about it is that it spoils you for diving anywhere else !

The Lycra skin is about all we ever have used and there have been several mentions in replies of the protection from stings, coral scrapes,etc. This is the real reason you need the skin is for protection and plus you get the added benefit of insulation as well.

Have a great time !

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom