Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will repeat................If you have dived with so many bad operators NAME them. Sorry all you seem to do is keep saying the same BS. There are operators who cut corners sure, but there are also those who strive to give good, honest, safe service. You seem to imply (and that is what it boils down to) that all don't care and are shoddy. This is simply not true.

Mike, what about 130 feet, PADI's recreational max, with strict enforcement and plenty of supervision?

Not trying to pick a fight. Just wondering where you draw the line.

Fwiw, I agree with slendereff that you (and anyone else) should call out bad ops by name. I'm fortunate to have spent a total of eight weeks diving with two excellent and safe Belize operators, Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort's in-house op on the atoll and Splash Dive Center in Placencia, and I'm happy to sing their praises. I haven't dived with Hamanasi Resort in Hopkins, but I've heard their in-house op is also excellent.

If we're willing to name the good ones, we ought to name any bad ones, too.

Last edited:
I agree with slenereff too. Well said Downing "If we're willing to name the good ones, we ought to name any bad ones, too."
Regards
Ralph

there are also those who strive to give good, honest, safe service.

I think I've said that 2 times now already. Why do you have selective memory?

Mike, what about 130 feet, PADI's recreational max, with strict enforcement and plenty of supervision?

Not trying to pick a fight. Just wondering where you draw the line.

Fwiw, I agree with slendereff that you (and anyone else) should call out bad ops by name. I'm fortunate to have spent a total of eight weeks diving with two excellent and safe Belize operators, Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort's in-house op on the atoll and Splash Dive Center in Placencia, and I'm happy to sing their praises. I haven't dived with Hamanasi Resort in Hopkins, but I've heard their in-house op is also excellent.

I'd draw the line on anything involving a dive guide, guiding a diver beyond their depth or experience level. Yes, I'd agree with you, Turneffe Resort's op is a good one. We had to cancel plans to going there this fall but will be making plans for next year. Should be awesome, am very much looking forward to it!

Now for creating a list for the lazy running about here, why would I and why would you want it? Dive shops come and go, owners changes, dive masters move from shop to shop, any list will become out-dated in a short time. I've given you something much more valuable which is how to determine who the good shops are. Apply the advice given and you'll likely have no problems in Belize. And, that advice was directed to newbies, if you're an experienced diver you shouldn't require my advice anyways, you should know all about this already and already know how to ask the right questions.

I even discussed the United States Department warning for scuba divers visiting Belize, did you think I was making that up too, do you think they just randomly picked Belize to issue a tourist warning about specifically about scuba diving? Finally for those who are desperate to name names, get off your butts, stop begging for others to do the work for you and click on the advanced search feature, search the Belize forum for something like "Blue Hole" with selection for only searching the post title and you'll get pages of threads with reports about diving the blue hole.

Start reading them, about every 3rd or 4th one will describe exactly what has you so incensed and in dis-belief about, you can read it for yourself, written over and over again, similar descriptions of scenarios of dive operators taking inexperienced, even brand new just certified divers to 130- 140 -150ft on single tank aluminum 80s, you can read about Belize dive masters running herd on OOA experiences until your eyes get red. I'm sure there are some that name names and you can get all happied up over them.

Last edited:
If we're willing to name the good ones, we ought to name any bad ones, too.

Be very careful about that. Even if you're right, if you can't prove it, you might open yourself up to a lawsuit (I'm not up on my precise terms, so as to say slander, libel, etc...). Particularly if you're repeating what you recall hearing from someone else, rather than 1'rst hand experience, and even with 1'rst hand experience, you've got to be careful what you say & how.

I realize the odds of a Belize dive op. filing a lawsuit in the U.S. might seem far-fetched, but still...

Richard.

I've never seen a dm drop below 130 in BH, other than recently and that was to get an experienced divers attention, as we were about to begin our ascent. While I do not believe newbies should dive the BH it's their own call. Doesn't make the op dangerous in and of itself. DMs are dive guides not dive gods. Mike, how will you ever dive in Florida?

Just got back from Key Largo, all went just fine, thanks for asking. Trip report is in the Florida section. Boring reading for you though since we always try to dive with the best dive operation available, so no drama ever to report.

Who will you guys be staying with in Belize. We have stayed with SunBreeze Hotel on AC and loved it so much we have been there three times now.

Diving is better in Cozumel
Partying is probably better in Cozumel
Adventure and other activities is better in Belize

Have been to both and Belize is my kids (ages 21 and 24) favorite vacation destination.
They are into adventure activities.

We are doing Belize this summer (2013)

---------- Post added December 12th, 2012 at 02:26 PM ----------

Mike,
I am not sure what dive operation you are referring to. and wish you would state them. I have been to Belize 3 times in two years for diving and to the Blue Hole twice once with Amigo's Del Mar and once with Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection and both time the dive briefs were very detailed and the depths were not exceeded past 125-135max Once I was below the DM. There are plenty of great dive operations on AC, What you also do not realize is that it maybe cheaper due to the US dollar is worth twice as much there. yes 1 US$ is worth 2B$ there. Not cheaper by their standards but by ours a bit. Plus the local diving is darn good for being 5 mins from the boat dock. So as you shout out how bad Diving in Belize is would you please state the Dive Operations that you had problems with. I personally love Belize and will go back in the near future. But as anywhere be a-where of you surroundings late at night, read the local paper online to see whats going on and check the safety record and forums of the dive operations your planning to use. I saw no crime but it doesn't matter where you are, US, abroad, always us common sense and read up on where your travels take you.

Sitting at home or work in front of your computer thousands of miles away from the dive site, it sure seems like a 100% chance that you'd never end up doing it.

However, on vacation, on a multi-hour boat ride, after paying extra hundreds of dollars for the trip out to the Blue Hole, the dive master gives you the briefing of everybody stays with me, he jumps in and descends to 100.... 120.... 130.... he keeps going.... now what do you do.... he's at 140.... 150.... do you do what just about 99.99% of everybody else ends up doing and follow the dive master beyond 100 ft... 110... 130... with the false newbie belief that he knows what he's doing, I'm in good hands... everybody else is doing it without a pause.... or do you and your dive buddy abort and hang at a shallower depth watching their bubble come up wondering what the hell you're supposed to do now?

That's the situation at the Blue Hole every day.

Whomever you dive with, ask them before you book, what the dive plan is at the blue hole if you're planning on going there, don't book with anybody who doesn't tell you in advanced what the dive plan is and provide for those who want to, to be able to stay shallow and avoid the 150 ft dive to the stalagtites. Cause if you don't you could very well end up with the typical dive operator who's dive plan at the blue hole is -

follow meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom