Cozumel Vs. Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike I've been diving with at least five different Belize ops over the years and familiar with a few more. That being so along with hundreds of dives there with something like ten or twelve dives in the blue hole I'm probably somewhat qualified to speak to the matters arising in this thread. I've been diving a number of places in the Caribbean and other parts of the world. Don't know where you got this bad rep idea or why it would have any worse rep than cozumel. Just one coz story, a friend of mine and his buddy were lost from their boat on a night dive. Story had a happy ending but they've not been back because they believe dive ops on cozumel are dangerous.

Mike, ,maybe you could be more specific about what you think is lacking. I agree with Chilly - lots of excellent dive ops here. If you can't be specific, maybe you are just "shooting from the lip".

Mike I've been diving with at least five different Belize ops over the years and familiar with a few more. That being so along with hundreds of dives there with something like ten or twelve dives in the blue hole I'm probably somewhat qualified to speak to the matters arising in this thread. I've been diving a number of places in the Caribbean and other parts of the world. Don't know where you got this bad rep idea or why it would have any worse rep than cozumel. Just one coz story, a friend of mine and his buddy were lost from their boat on a night dive. Story had a happy ending but they've not been back because they believe dive ops on cozumel are dangerous.

I've outline specifically the problems in this thread, you can start at the top and re-read it as many times as it takes until you comprehend it. If you still can't figure out the specifics I've addressed maybe you can ask the other 2 posters who have posted replies in this thread about the problems in Belize?

If you want further specifics, the United States State Department certainly provides them.

There is a travel warning specifically singling out the scuba diving industry in Belize.

Specifically the US State Department warns that dive boats often do not carry sufficient safety equipment, can be overloaded and boat captains use poor judgement when it comes to bad weather and sea conditions, they warn of lack of inspections and maintenance of dive equipment and dive masters failing to consider experience and skill levels of their dive customers. They use the word strongly in their recommendation that they strongly recommend anyone interested in scuba diving in Belize to check references, licenses and equipment prior to hiring a dive operator in Belize.

If that's still not specific enough you can use the search function on Scubaboard to find as many specifics as you want.

Again, all of this is not to say Belize is not a place to dive, it's simply information and a warning to newbies that there is some caution and consideration when diving in Belize and again back to the main point I've made at least 4 times that picking dive operators based on low prices might not be beneficial to your well-being.

Curious Ralph, you obviously are under the impression that newbies don't benefit from information that might effect their safety. You obviously believe for just one example for instance that taking unqualified divers/newly certified divers to 140 or 150 feet on single aluminum 80s is either a fine idea or are you're in denial that it happens all the time in Belize?

Last edited:
Curious Ralph, you obviously are under the impression that newbies don't benefit from information that might effect their safety. You obviously believe for just one example for instance that taking unqualified divers/newly certified divers to 140 or 150 feet on single aluminum 80s is either a fine idea or are you're in denial that it happens all the time in Belize?

Bit of a leap there, Mike.

Hi Mike, just so you know where I am coming from, I amco-owner of a dive center in Placencia. We dive safely and follow PAD guidelines. I am very concerned about the impression yourremarks could have on the reputation of Belize and this industry.
I went on the US Belize Embassy website and was unable tofind the travel advisory you refer to. Can you please advise a link so I can check it out? "There is a travel warning specificallysingling out the scuba diving industry in Belize.
Specifically the US State Department warns that dive boatsoften do not carry sufficient safety equipment, can be overloaded and boatcaptains use poor judgement when it comes to bad weather and sea conditions,they warn of lack of inspections and maintenance of dive equipment and divemasters failing to consider experience and skill levels of their divecustomers. They use the word strongly in their recommendation that theystrongly recommend anyone interested in scuba diving in Belize to checkreferences, licenses and equipment prior to hiring a dive operator inBelize"
We have certified most of the Peace Corp volunteers inBelize and that has led to employees from the US Embassy wanting to learn todive with us. They didn't mentionanything about this scuba warning to me.
I don't know what in my remarks led you to believe"Curious Ralph, you obviously are under the impression that newbies don'tbenefit from information that might effect their safety. You obviously believefor just one example for instance that taking unqualified divers/newlycertified divers to 140 or 150 feet on single aluminum 80s is either a fineidea or are you're in denial that it happens all the time in Belize?" I believe that all divers, new and experienced,benefit from information that might affect tehir safety. We have never taken divers below PADIrecreational depth limits at the Blue Hole or anywhere else.
Regards
Ralph

Here's the link to the referenced State Department page: Belize Country Specific Information.

Scroll down.

There are all sorts of warnings, from Crime in Belize City to Water Sports to Cave Tubing.

Certainly there's some validity to a lot of the warnings, but these are the same ninnies who freaked out when I showed up to take a picture of the (my) Embassy.

I'm posting the relevant excerpt from the US Government site referred to above:-

Water Safety: Boats serving the public, especially water taxis, often do not carry sufficient safety equipment. Many carry an excessive number of passengers and may sail in inclement weather. Rental diving equipment may not always be properly maintained or inspected, and some local dive masters fail to consider the skill levels of individual tourists when organizing dives to some of Belize’s more challenging sites. Deaths and serious injuries have occurred as a result of the negligence of dive tour operators, the lack of strict enforcement of tour regulations, water taxis diverging from routes when tourists are in the water, and tourists’ neglect of their physical limitations. The Embassy strongly recommends that anyone interested in scuba diving or snorkeling while in Belize check the references, licenses, and equipment of tour operators before agreeing to or paying for a tour. The Embassy further recommends that U.S. citizens be forthcoming in reporting pre-existing medical conditions to their dive tour operators, and comply when a dive tour operator prohibits participation in such activities due to a U.S. citizen’s health condition. Safety precautions and emergency response capabilities may not be up to U.S. standards. All tour guides and boat captains are now required to be licensed by the Government of Belize. The only hyperbaric recompression chamber in Belize is located in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

That advice includes some indisputable fact, some disputable "fact", and general warnings that would apply anywhere. People should remember, in ALL their dealings in Belize, that there is often no "long stop" legal protection. In particular, financial fraud is widely practiced and there is little protection in law once you've handed over your money. "Caveat Emptor" applies more in Belize than in any other country I've visited.

That said, if you bear in mind that water-based activities are inadequately or not-at-all controlled centrally and you must assess each operation individually, there are many safe and honest such operations in Belize. There is nothing particularly unusual in that. In Belize if you burn the inside of your mouth on a cup of hot coffee that will be the end of it - there is no possibility of "sueing" anybody. When diving you must take primary responsibility for your own safety, just as in fact you must in Mexico. If you're taking a tuition course in diving, DO check the credentials of the instructor and of the overall operation. If you have any misgivings then either check directly with PADI (if it is a PADI-sanctioned operation) or with other local operations. Try to discern the normal local cost for an activity/course - if yours is much cheaper then you can be sure corners will be cut. In general, in Belize and all other unfamiliar countries do NOT automatically go for the lowest price - you'll get at best what you pay for. At the same time, use your eyes and your wits - if for example air is leaking from a scuba tank at places it shouldn't, don't just reject that tank but ideally don't use any tanks filled by that operator. If that means you don't dive, so be it. Diving is a matter of personal security, and YOU must take care of yourself - only defer that care to others if you feel totally at ease doing so.

Many, indeed most, people visit Belize and have successful and enjoyable diving vacations - it's not all bad!

Nor did I Ralph until just now! It's good to know you operate one of the (many) safe operations!

And the State Department warning for Mexico on recreational activities including diving. I didn't even bother to incude the multiple paragraphs on crime:

Rented sports and aquatic equipment may not meet U.S. safety standards or be covered by any accident insurance. Scuba diving equipment may be substandard or defective due to frequent use. Inexperienced scuba divers in particular should beware of dive shops that promise to “certify” you after only a few hours' instruction. There are several hospitals and medical centers with hyperbaric decompression chambers to treat the effects of nitrogen narcosis (commonly referred to as the “bends&#8221:wink: in Mexico. These tend to be in large cities and near tourist destinations where scuba diving is common, such as the Yucatan Peninsula. Please note you will be expected to pay for service up front and likely in cash. Parasailing has killed U.S. citizen tourists who were dragged through palm trees or were slammed into buildings. U.S. citizen tourists have also been killed in jet-ski accidents, especially in group outings when inexperienced guides allowed clients to follow each other too closely. Accidents involving breaking zip-lines have also occurred. Boats used for excursions may not carry adequate life jackets, radios, or tools to make repairs in the event of engine failure and may not be covered by accident insurance. Mariners preparing to depart from a Mexican harbor should visit the harbormaster and leave a detailed trip plan, including intended destination and crew and passenger information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom