Cozumel versus Roatan or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove 2 tanks in Cozumel with Living Underwater; had a great time. Dive 1 on Palancar Garden wasn't all that, but Dive 2 on Santa Rosa, a big black grouper swam up near arm's length right away & followed us much of the dive, a BIG eagle ray swam quite close under us before we even got underway, I later saw a southern stingray...and all diving steel 120 tanks, drift diving and having a good old time. Divers further back in the group told me about a humongous green moray that came out but I missed.

I've been to Bonaire 7 times but haven't seen anything like that yet. And only had 80 cf tanks. Hauling gear around without boat crew setting it up for me. Yet I've been 7 times. Yes, a different experience. Shore diving, there's no following anyone around; dive when you want (including nights), where you want, go fast or go slow, deep or shallow as you see fit, 1 time/day or 5, surface interval as long or short as you want, dive solo or with your own buddy if you prefer not to mix with strangers...

Both are great. But it's like asking me whether a double-cheese burger is better than lasagna. Kinda depends on what I'm in the mood for, and either one is great.

Richard.

Last edited:

It's after all really just a comparison of which is the least mediocre in the over all mediocre Caribbean eco system isn't it? I mean North Americans dive the Caribbean because it's close and economical, not because it offers the best diving available, we're just making the best of a mediocre situation right?

I agree 100%, but most people only come to that conclusion by seeing and diving all the different Caribbean destinations in person.

I have been to Bonaire once. I enjoy being able to don up my gear at dock, jump into water and in a few minutes, I am at 100' deep water. This is something Cozumel doesn't offer.

I have been to Roatan once. Swim through Aguila wreck is amazing, and diving with dolphins is fun. Cozumel also doesn't have these.

i just returned from Cozumel two weeks ago. This is my third trip to Cozumel and I stayed at Cozumel for two weeks this time.

At Palancar Cave, swimming in and out of coral reef makes me feel like I am riding the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disney World.

At Punta Sur, I feel like I am flying on top of Himalayas mountain. Going into Devil's Throat makes me feel like I am descending into underworld.

At Barracuda, I got a taste of sea's awesome power. At San Juan, seeing all those finger coral makes me feel like I am flying on top of a beautiful blooming flower garden.

And if I want to work on my leg muscle and do some kicking, Paradise is there for me.

Each dive site at Cozumel has its own distinct personality, all dive sites at Cozumel mesmerize me, make me want to dive them again. That is something Bonaire or Roatan never able to offer me.

And despite tipping DM nicely for every dive, at end of each trip, total cost for me is about the same at Bonaire, Roatan, or Cozumel.

Last edited:
Cozumel, Roatan and Bonaire are really kind of just midgets in the world of diving when you actually compare them to the rest of the world, one visit to Indonesia, French Polynesia or the red sea and...

It's after all really just a comparison of which is the least mediocre in the over all mediocre Caribbean eco system isn't it? I mean North Americans dive the Caribbean because it's close and economical, not because it offers the best diving available, we're just making the best of a mediocre situation right?

I couldn't disagree more - I've been to Indonesia, French Polynesia, Fiji etc....The diving there was excellent, diverse, and the infrastructure in these locations is as variable as the weather. However, none of that would EVER make me describe Cozumel, Bonaire, or Cayman diving as mediocre!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't disagree more - I've been to Indonesia, French Polynesia, Fiji etc....The diving there was excellent, diverse, and the infrastructure in these locations is as variable as the weather. However, none of that would EVER make me describe Cozumel, Bonaire, or Cayman diving as mediocre!!! Really Mike - troll much??

I think "mediocre" was a bit of hyperbole on Mike's part, but his point is well taken. I have not seen anything in the Caribbean that has impressed me as much as the Indo-Pacific in terms of sheer beauty and diversity of species. I enjoy Cozumel, Bonaire and the Bay Islands because they're pretty darn nice and I can get there in three hours, but if I had the time and money I would do most of my diving in the Indo-Pacific.

We usually do at least 3 dives per day in Cozumel. I agree that 2 per day leave me looking for more.

I couldn't disagree more - I've been to Indonesia, French Polynesia, Fiji etc....The diving there was excellent, diverse, and the infrastructure in these locations is as variable as the weather. However, none of that would EVER make me describe Cozumel, Bonaire, or Cayman diving as mediocre!!! Really Mike - troll much??

Everyone has an opinion and preference on the diving in the Caribbean, Asia, Indo-Pacific, Galapagos, etc.. Do I consider the diving in some areas mediocre compared to others ? Yes. Just my opinion and preference.

My only suggestion is if you have the time and money, it is worthwhile to dive these different areas and form your own opinion. I've been to many places, but still many more on my to dive list. Still need to go to Thailand, Maldives, Fiji, Palau...............

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 12:23 PM ----------

I think "mediocre" was a bit of hyperbole on Mike's part, but his point is well taken. I have not seen anything in the Caribbean that has impressed me as much as the Indo-Pacific in terms of sheer beauty and diversity of species. I enjoy Cozumel, Bonaire and the Bay Islands because they're pretty darn nice and I can get there in three hours, but if I had the time and money I would do most of my diving in the Indo-Pacific.
And I'm also in complete agreement. Even from the west coast, it's a lot easier to get to Cozumel than to the Indo-Pacific or Micronesia. French Polynesia is closer, but too expensive. Hawaii is closer yet, but just as mediocre as the Caribbean and also very expensive. But if the good Indonesian and Micronesian sites were as easy and cheap to get to as Cozumel, I'd be returning there instead of making yet another Cozumel run.

My last trip to Indonesia required a 16 hour flight to Bangkok followed by a 5 hour flight to Bali, then an overnight, and a 2 hour flight the next day in a small cramped prop plane. My Micronesia trips involved a 5 hour flight to Hawaii, then a 7 hour flight to Guam, then a 2-3 hour flight to the final destination. 15-23 hours in the air depending on destination, not counting airport time, and obviously even longer flight times for any Americans not living near a west coast hub. On the other hand, my last flight to Cozumel was 3 hours followed by 2 hours, and only 1 hour to kill in Houston. Barely six hours from taking off from LAX and I was landing in Cozumel. No malaria meds, no need to change currency since U.S. dollars are the local currency, and no language barrier since everyone there speaks English or understands my high school/college Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? So it's safe to assume your diving in FP was in Tahiti? :D

Yes, and Pago Pago, and Sipidan, and Palau, and Fiji, and GBR blah blah blah

Dude - I've done the dives with the wall of sharks being fed by the crazy dive master, with the giant school of Baracuda, tons of Mantas whatever (no whale sharks yet)- those dives are FREAKING AWESOME - no dispute - and agreeing with Mossman, if Chuuk was my 'local' getaway spot, sure I'd go there instead of Coz a lot of the time......but I don't see how any of the deep walls and caverns on Coz or diving in a Cenote or being in a school of 100 tarpon or any other number of Caribbean dives I've done is mediocre. Sorry, I just don't dig the whole - "If you didn't fly half way around the world, the diving is no good" thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom