Cozumel Trip Report - 3.5 weeks - backpacker style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My girlfriend and I just returned from 3.5 weeks in sunny Mexico diving and adventuring and I thought I'd share my thoughts.

First off we were there at the busiest time of year, and those reading this report should keep that in mind, secondly we are backpack style travelers and quite uninterested in living in plush resorts. We do however very much appreciate beautiful natural settings, great beaches, great food, and great diving.

Here goes:

Playa del Carmen
- from the moment we set foot in Playa we couldn't wait to leave. We had thought we would spend at least a week here, but for us 18 hours was more than we'll ever need. Usually we find that walking a few blocks inland frees you from touristy BS and into the charm of the local lifestyle, that is not what we found in Playa. There are 3 different completely glass fronted, incredibly modern stores here dedicated to... Hagendaaz ice cream. We found accommodations for 500 pesos per night. If you had told me I could have jumped off of a manta onto a whale shark I still wouldn't have stayed there.

Cozumel - we expected Cozumel to be uppity and expensive, especially after playa, we were very pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of budget lodging options here and we happily camped out for over a week in our fantastic hotel (A/C, cable, 2 double beds, mini-fridge, hot & cold, great location), PM for details, at $350 pesos/night. Adolfo Rosada Sallas is the street you want to hit if you're looking for budget digs.

Food was fantastic and ranged from $22US lobster tail to $0.50US tacos. Abuelos has a great Mariscos a la Parilla platter for 2. La Choza was awesome and ranged from economy to quite fancy with prices in all ranges. El Pique Super Taqueria just has flat out good food for cheep. Otates has fantastic Pazole and really good tacos. There's a couple of great Panaderias, and the Churros from the guy in the square still make me wish I lived there. The loncheria on Rosada Sallas was our pre-dive tradition with great sandwiches & smoothies, a great breakfast for two for 80 pesos. The chinese buffet was always good for a fast bite at 35 pesos. Mini supers were abundant, and life was laid back and easy.

Cozumel is very charming and we found the people quite warm and accessible, we are both pretty fluent Spanish speakers however so that helps us a lot. Beaches were beautiful, though transportation to them ($9 taxi or $25US moto rental/day) wasn't cheap. We really enjoyed sunrises on the East side beaches. Mr. Sanchos (free) was our favorite Westside beach.

We dove with Studio Blue and were really happy with their service and straightforward style. Manuel, the owner treated us famously and we enjoyed Divemasters Mario, Javier, Gabriel, Mario II, and Jonathan, all great guys with whom we shared many laughs and great dives.

Favorite sites were: Santa Rosa Wall, The Bricks, Columbia Deep, Delila, Paraiso (by night), Palancar Gardens, and Felipe Xicotencatl wreck. Chankanaab, Yucab, San Clemente, San Francisco, & Tormentos were good but not great. We saw Blacktips, Eagle Rays (close up), Lot's of turtles (one giant), a s*%tload of Queen Angelfish, Scorpion Stonefish, 2 octopus, lot's of sting rays, abundant grouper, lot's of cleaners, lot's of cuda (finally!), nurse sharks, drumfish, spanish lobster, & all the usual (parrot, squirrel, hog, rock beauty, jack, etc). I was however disappointed at the very small number of eels. I've never seen so many angelfish, they are ridiculously abundant there.

Tulum - Tulum was insane. Cozumel had slowed down but Tulum was packed to the point where we literally got the last room in town. The beach here is stunning and at a different time of year the cabanas would have probably kept us for a week or more. The puebla is okay, it features the wonderful Pollo Bronco (about the chicken I've ever had, 80 pesos fed four people), and would have no doubt been more charming at a lower capacity time of year. The Tulum Ruins were small and overrun but the setting is spectacular, we were able to walk to them from our cabana. Cabanas on the beach were about 500 pesos/night. Rooms in town were about 350 pesos.

We dove with Scuba Tulum, a new outfit there and were very happy with our service. The price was about $25 lower than anybody else we say and bought us very new rental gear, included lunch, transport, & 3 cenotes. We had to pay the entrance fees (180 pesos in total). The staff was really really helpful and able to totally customize a trip for us to stay out of the crowds and mania of popular sights like Dos Ojos. The also picked us up from out Cabana.

Tajma Ha . Our first site was fantastic. Visibility was, of course, mind blowing, the halocline was pretty strong and quite different than I was expecting. We took about 50 minutes to do the circuit and were happy with the easy pace.

Chacmool . Our favorite Cenote, Chacmool had it all. We were able so surface in an underground cathedral and see fossils, crystals and crazy spiders. A chamber with a collapsed ceiling offered stalactites pointing in every direction. The halocline here had the full mirror effect thanks to it's naturally lit backdrop. I really can't say enough about this Cenote, truly memorable.

Kukulkan . We dove Kukulkan on our remaining gas from Chacmool, it's main feature was it's blinding Halocline. Kukulkan was a little more claustrophobic than the others, and being pretty much rendered blind in near total darkness is appealing in it's own weird way. This cenote was the runt of the bunch but added diversity to the other two. We even saw a mezoamerican turtle here.

Chichen Itza . having been to Lamanai and Tikal the Mayan ruins of Mexico are quite different. The big difference is that you can't climb on the Templos, but in return the ruins are better preserved. There were hordes of people there but we were able to stay away from the crowds. The vendors everywhere however took a lot away from the sanctity of the place. The ruins are quite impressive and the complex is much bigger than it seems. Well worth the visit.

The other part of our trip was spent in the state of Guerrero, 1,100 miles away, and probably not of much interest too the board here.

We had a really fantastic time and felt the diving was very good. Prices were quite fair with each of us spending about $2,000 US for 3.5 weeks of food, lodging, ruins & tours, and 20 tanks (10 days) of diving.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

-Scotty

You mentioned that the one cenote was more claustrophobic than the others. Maybe you can be a little more specific. How claustrophobic are these cenotes. I am planning to try a couple of dives in the cenotes but my main concern is how claustrophobic they are.

Thnx for the report

Great trip report thanx!

I'm really glad to hear a report like this, since we're doing something similar in February. A couple questions:

$25 for a moto is very pricey. Is that all year or just cause its tourist season?

Did you do the deep drift dives around Cozumel? My girl and I have become a bit snobbish in our diving since Indonesia, and since its so hard to dive on a backpacker budget, I'd like to hear how good from an objective source.

Cenotes - Neither of us felt claustrophobic whatsoever at any time. My girlfriend and I are both pretty solid divers, navigating for us was easy and didn't require much focus - so we enjoyed ourselves immensely with zero stress. We did use a variety of kicks, and both of our ears went kind of nuts with all the up and down.

I just used that descriptor because that's sort of what you notice about Kukulkan, mainly because there's not much else going on, it's all about "I'm in a cave with a lot of rock above me" type of Cenote. The other Cenotes were so awe inspiring we just lost ourselves in the splendor of them. It's mostly because of the way Kukulkan wraps around, it's kind of difficult to explain.

Probably the narrowest squeeze for us was a foot clearance all the way around and lasted for 8 or 9 feet. It's not a forgiving environment, but it's pretty straightforward. I don't think there's any reason to worry unless you have a particular issue with tight spaces. If you feel confident and relaxed, go for it, if not...

-Scotty

Last edited:
Bredman,

That's a tough one, if you apply Asian standards to Mexico... well... it's just a different place. I agree $25 for a moto (full insurance, 24 hours, the nice ones with 165cc engine) is a bit steep. I suspect that would go down by $5 by mid-feb. It's an island though, it's not going to come down to $10, $15 I think would be pretty unlikely.

Hotel prices I don't think will change much, you're looking at the utter bottom end you could find being 250 pesos/night. Belize will have cheaper options for accommodations but food will be more. Food in Mexico is dirt cheap. It's going to cost more that SE Asia on both ends (I have not been there, but have many friends that have and this is what I gather).

I'm not sure what you mean by the "deep drift dives" We didn't go to Punta Sur, or Barracuda and to be honest I'm not sad about that. I don't think Cozumel is a very good Pelagic destination, and that's what I generally associate with deeper diving, The reefs are more vibrant higher up. There is the Devil's Throat dive I would have like to have done. We did a number of dives between 70' and 100' and saw sharks, eagle ray, large turtles etc. The octopus at 40' were incredible.

I think the true gem of Cozumel is the swim-throughs, our DM trusted us and we went through a ton of them. All but one dive we did (the wreck) were drift dives, we really enjoyed ourselves, but I'd expect the diving in Indonesia to be more spectacular, probably by a lot. Plane tickets to Cozumel can be had for $400 US. The Cozumel reef topography is quite varied and there's a lot to do in the water there.

My dad just did Blue Hole in Belize yesterday and saw a few hammerhead, large schools of fish, reef sharks, 5 eagle rays and more. It's one easy travel day to Belize, we could have easily combined it, but we've traveled there extensively, the combination of both is pretty potent. Throw in Cenotes, and you've really got a hell of a dive trip.

For cenotes expect $105 US/day each after tip, no way around it. In Coz we spent about $80 US/day each after tip. Belize was more like $65 each. Blue Hole from Caye Caulker is $175 US each.

Hope that helps,

-Scotty

Hey, we're travelling to Cozumel for Easter, and while I'm really looking fwd to it, I'm finding it a bit off-putting with all the all inclusive resorts, cruise ships etc. When you were there, did you see any beach hut accommodation in Cozumel?

Thanks!
Jose + Miguel

Back
Top Bottom